Sonic electronic drums

thecugga

Hey guys,
Lately I've been getting sick of only being able to practice at certain times in the day because of noise and roomates, neighbours, etc. and I have been thinking about getting a cheap electronic drum kit that I could play at any time of the day or nite.
Im gettin an approx 800$ tax return (CAN) so Ive been lookin around lately at some kits. Dont have enough for a roland or yamaha set (after shipping, customs charges, etc) so im lookin for a decent cheaper kit.
I found this on a Canadian website:
http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/drums.cfm?details=1&id=226&inv=111965
SONIC DRUMS SD-502 Electronic Drum Kit
I live in Canada so it works well for me cause it'd be free shipping + no customs taxes.
although ive never looked into electronic drums before this, so i dont know much about what im looking at. I tried to research this kit online and came up with nothing, which seems strange (although are listed as new which could be why).
anyways, if anyone can help me out and let me know if this set would be decent or if im stupid for considering it that would be awesome.
thanks alot!

Watch for used elec. sets on Ebay. If you've been playing acoustic drums for long, switching to an electric set can be a rough transition. Unless, you're just looking to use the elec. set to practice. It's definatley worth paying extra for the better sets.

Heck, Google DIY electronic drums. It's become popular to make your own electronic set using practice pads and piezo pickups. That could definatley save you some money. Of course, you'd still need a brain to make the sounds, less' you have a midi-convertor thing to run the set into your computer.

Another alternative is taking your current set and buying mesh drumheads for each of them. Mesh heads make virtually no noise, and don't feel TOO fake. From there you can either use piezo pickups, or, the better route, buy some drum tiggers.

true ... DIY electronic drums could be a possibility, i'll look into it. although I do like the ease of buy a set. and ya i'd still need to by a brain.

also i'll be keeping my acoustic set. whenever i practice with my band i'll still use em, and im sure i'd still practice on em quite a bit. i'd just want elecs to get some extra practice on when im bored and it'd be inconvenient to play my acoustic set. i like the idea of having an electric set as well that i could jump on at 2AM and rip it and no one will ever know.
which is why im not too concerned about the quality. as long as they dont fall aprart, and they play a sound that resembles the drum im hitting then i think i'd be happy.

thanks for the suggestions tho, i'll look into DIY electronic drums.

if anyone has any info or insight on the Sonic set I mentioned earlier that'd still be helpful too .... thanks!

Back