Songwriting competitions

leavings

Hi all,

does anyone know of any good songwriting or lyric competitions? A basic Google search led me to several that seemed typically scammy. I'd prefer contests that don't charge an entry fee, but I'm comfortable paying a reasonable amount to enter a reputable competition. Any size contest would interest me (local, national, international, galactic). If you have experience with a particular contest or just know of one, please let me know. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Any contest that asks for fee is money-maker for others.

While this is true most large and legitimate songwriting contests have to cover their costs somehow. If they did not charge money they would also be overwhelmed with too many submissions. By charging a fee they ensure that only serious musicians submit their material. You can usually tell by the size of their sponsors and 2nd and 3rd place prices if they are legit. The John Lennon Songwriting Contest (jlsc dot com) seems to be one of the better ones.

I understand about covering costs - I'm saying that these places are in it to make a profit for the organizers.

I once had a songwriting competition with The Sawce... I was blown away by I can't stop Sawcing... and I wanted to make a song better than that. I was competing to be better... I also competed with my electronic friend.

Back