Songs For The Deaf Drum Sound.

CMolena

Hi everyone.

I was listening to Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA and I noticed how unique the drum sounds like. It sounds really raw and powerful. They actually made a lot of good decisions when they mixed the song. One thing in particular that I've just noticed is that in the song "Songs For The Dead" in the main riff, the drums are panned to the centre but when the second part kicks in it is completely panned left. Then, when the final verse part comes in, the drums are panned back to centre. This gave to me a sense of dynamics which its quite difficult to achieve. I never thought that it could have that effect.

Anyway, I want to ask you guys if any of you know how the drums were recorded. Dave Grohl was playing with a pretty big kick drum as I saw in one of the making of studio footages of this album. That combination alone actually already makes sense when you hear the album, because Dave Grohl is a wicked drummer. But recording-wise...does any of you know like what kind of mic placement they used on the drums?

Looking in this particular video, I could notice that the OH where placed quite close to the drum kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zweWCXKWnBg

Especially at 4:21 you can see that the mic is REALLY close.

Anyway, hope this thread makes sense!

Thanks a lot to everyone interested in this.

Back