Song using ONLY kids instruments/vocals/effects • including STYLOPHONE

dreamer7

:D To all who may be interested,
At long last I have a pre-master version of a new track on Soundclick. It's called 'Lost Children of Electroland' and I've used only very cheap instruments normally associated with children, plus vocals (all laced liberally with effects of course). It's a simple little ditty and listening on headphones is probably best unless you have great computer monitors (which I don't by the way!).

Here's the usual linkage to the track:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8402343

In order of appearance, instruments used are:
two kids toy Xylophones (metal and plastic pull-along type with wheels), two old wooden school Tambourines (missing their skins), Electronic Percussion (from the tacky built-in rhythm machine of a tiny child's PortaSound), plastic toy Clarina (from Poland), Descant Recorder (standard school type but nice wood, not plastic), plus a Stylophone (yes, the very thing once made famous by the great Rolf Harris!).

Thanks for reading and feel free to expose yourself by saying a few words about my latest offering. Is this one working for you at all? I'd appreciate comments from anyone here.
Dreamer ;)

I wouldn't call that a song, I would call it sound effects and noises LOL

Artistic noise. Sounds like some parts could be used on a movie sound track. I don't really like the singing parts. I don't see the point of singing to noise. It doesn't do anything for me. It's just my opinion I'm sure some people would feel differently about it.

Very cool concept.

So the vocals aren't children then? I think Phil may be at least partially right about the singing. There are musical aspects to the background music (i.e. the recorder), but the vocals don't really mesh with them. They seem like they're off doing their own thing almost regardless of the music.

It's ambient and lulling. I assume that's what you meant for, so that's good.

Yeah...good sounds, and good soundtrack fodder. Gave me a case of heebie-jeebies......like having a happy clown approach me...and sensing evil intent....like he wuz gonna stab me.

[piss-shivers]

That's good. Music should make ya feel somethin'. Don't gotta be flowers and stuff.... :^)

Thanks for listening…

Hi Chaps and thanks for your thoughts.

FoulPhil: We'll have to agree to differ, as I wrote it and I say it's a song (thought-out lyrics sung as a melody over rhythmic sounds). In fact this sounds almost commercial compared to some of the artists I listen to myself ;)! Mind you, I like your description "Artistic noise" – I might use that one day myself and as I did put a lot of effort and time into creating that particular 'noise' I think it's a good description. I also admit though, that I fully accept that this wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but I try to push boundaries when I can, so maybe I've succeeded here. Thanks for the feedback, which is still valuable.

VomitHatSteve: Glad you think it's a cool concept, at least. Ambient and lulling are part of what I was after, so it's good to see it's working in that area.

jeffmaher: A slight sense of menace together with the above mentioned ambience and lulling is also what I was after (a difficult combination to achieve!). Sorry to put the shivers up ya man :eek:

WhiteStrat: Ah, I beat you to the re-emergence of the Stylophone as the next big thing! Actually, as the Stylophone has a rather distinctive rasping sort of electronic sound, I spent ages processing this to make it more organic and warm-sounding (not particularly easy, I can tell you!). It's an interesting instrument to grapple with and get to fit into a track.

autisnm08: Good to hear that, thanks.

All feedback is appreciated,
Cheers for now
Dreamer :cool:

Back