Song I wrote earlier.

mattamatta

Here's a little something I did earlier tonight.

<begin paste from post on harmony central - if you read that, it's the same one, so dont waste your time>

Just vocals and acoustic guitar.

Tracked through a Tascam US-428 into Cubase SX 1.0...

Larrivee acoustic, recorded using a CAD M179 (my new toys) along with direct from the pickup (not sure what kind.... "K&K" something or other, the guitar shop installed it and alls I know is it sounds ok for what I wanted it for).

Vocals also done through the M179, but with their share of eq to make it sound more appropriate for vocals.

It was mixed on phones, because it was a bit late, and my speakers are being bootsie anyway (and plus they're just computer speakers, so it's not like I was missing much.) Just listen on phones if it doesn't translate well =D, I'm quite pleased with it for what it is.

Just thought I'd show off my latest doing, and of course any suggestions/comments/criticism will be welcomed and taken into consideration.

<end paste>

I'm sure there's some issues, as there are some things with some sibilance, vocal phrasing, etc, that bother me a little, but not enough to go fix em. It was just something I did from start to finish in less than an hour or two.

Just burned it to a cd,.... gonna mail it down to my girlfriend (I'm away at college) as a late valentines day present. And yes, it is about her, and not my recording gear =D

Fantastic tune with a very lively Jim Croce-ish guitar track - vocal styling is very original, as are the lyrics. I dig it. My instinct tells me that your girlfriend will dig it too.

It seems to miss a little low-end punch, however. This could be easily remedied by also mic'ing the soundhole with a good condenser. ;)

Another thing that might be cool would be to play a strumming rhythym track, lower the volume on it abit, and have that panned slightly off to one side. Then pan the picking track off slightly to the other side.

Good tune ... :)

Cheers.

The room sound before the guitar comes in is fairly annoying to me. The guitar performance it the central thing here so it needs to be fairly perfect which it's not quite. If it sounded like a one take performance I could live with some imperfections but as is it's obvious that you recorded the guitar first and sang along.
Nice close sound on the guitar though, maybe a tiny bit too close. The vocal seems a bit over EQ'd to me. As a rule when EQ'ing something like this, unless you have a really nice monitor chain do less EQ than you think you should. Move in the direction but don't take it quite so far. I usually find what sounds good and then back off it a bit. I think your vocal could use a bit of that here.

I don't like the reverb/room sound which ever it is. To short and crisp. Sounds like it was recorded in a concrete stairwell. It definately could use a nice reverb however. It's pretty dry. Vocals are a bit pitchy in spots, but you already know that. Couple of oopsies on the guitar that I'm certain your girlfriend will never hear. I'm sure this will get you some when you see her again. :D

Haha, thanks guys, good comments. All very useful and agreed with. You nailed it jake, I have a crappy monitor chain and eq'd be more than I thought I should have, so I'll have to watch that in the future (or just get good monitors.... which is coming up soon on my gear list)

Back