Song for review

I uploaded an earlier version of this song about a week ago.

It was a bit to harsh and not full enough. Since then I have tried using completely different mics and turning down the distortion a bit :D in hopes of capturing my tone better.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9901502

Still working on perfecting things so any feedback is welcome.

Very energetic,

Given you have no vocal, try referencing the Ventures (surf style lead) for a simple leading focus.

Getting a little better. Now that I can make out what you're doing without suffering long lasting ear damage, let's look at your tones a little closer. First off, the left guitar aint too bad. It's not great, but it's a vast improvement over what you had before. It's smoother, still aggressive (because you play it that way), and seems to be much more balanced. It can be loud in a mix without killing anyone. The right guitar though is really bad. It's like a mash of harsh fuzz with no definable musical quality whatsoever. It's literally just noise. But this contrast is a good thing for learning purposes. What are the differences between the two? What did you do differently? One is usable, one isn't. One sounds like a guitar, one sounds like ass. Whatever tone and tracking techniques you did to the left, go that route for the right. You don't have to use the same exact tone for each side, but being in the same ballpark aint a bad idea. Keep playing with it. You're getting there. Then we'll tackle those drums. :)

Yeah I jumped the gun on this one!

I listened it in my car on my way to work and in my boss's little radio recording studio and the right guitar did sound like noise and it was way too loud. My intensions are to have my left guitar the beefy rhythm while my friends noisy guitar is there for odd background sounds. My conclusion is that my room and monitors are just not working out because I don't hear any of this while mixing.

Drums: Yeah! I know your a drummer but one step at a time!

Question? Do the guitars seem spread out far enough? I don't pan past 60% right or left, should I try panning further past the 60%?

Yeah I jumped the gun on this one!

I listened it in my car on my way to work and in my boss's little radio recording studio and the right guitar did sound like noise and it was way too loud. My intensions are to have my left guitar the beefy rhythm while my friends noisy guitar is there for odd background sounds. My conclusion is that my room and monitors are just not working out because I don't hear any of this while mixing.

Drums: Yeah! I know your a drummer but one step at a time!

Question? Do the guitars seem spread out far enough? I don't pan past 60% right or left, should I try panning further past the 60%?

The spread seems okay to me. I personally like em wider, but it's all personal taste. I do my rhythms around 75-90%. Leads and accents closer to the middle.

We talked about NOFX the other day. They usually do their guitars close to 100% L/R.

Is this one of yours Greg? I can't hear this "right speaker" distortion...

EDIT: wait a minute... it sounds deliberate (grins) :D

Is this one of yours Greg? I can't hear this "right speaker" distortion...

EDIT: wait a minute... it sounds deliberate

Are you asking if I am covering one of Greg_L's songs? I think he would kick my ass for making it sound so bad or even trying :D

I will play with spreading things out a bit to see how that sounds. The left rhythm guitar was done with 2 mics. One is panned 60% L while the other is about 30% R. Is this a good technique or should each guitar be strictly on it's own side?

Or maybe a layered technique?
Guitar 1 100% L & 100% R
Guitar 2 60% L & 60% R

Sorry gregsk777,

I didn't mean to insult you or Greg, it's just that complete noobs are usually not so good at imparting energy, despite the right ear distortion... they are usually too self conscious...

Thanks, I have plenty of energy just not the recording or mixing skills! There will eventually be lyrics but for now we are focussed on tracking.

I will play with spreading things out a bit to see how that sounds. The left rhythm guitar was done with 2 mics. One is panned 60% L while the other is about 30% R. Is this a good technique or should each guitar be strictly on it's own side?

Or maybe a layered technique?
Guitar 1 100% L & 100% R
Guitar 2 60% L & 60% R

There are no rules on this stuff. Just do what sounds good. If you want clearly defined rhythm tracks though, keep them seperate. One L guitar and one R guitar. If you want to layer multiple takes, go ahead. If you want a big wall of guitars, spread em everywhere.

In regards to the fizzy distorted guitar on the right. Can it still be usable if toned down or will it always have an overly harsh sound to it no matter how much I turn it down?

I know I wasn't going to bring up the drums but are they passable or kind of muffled and not defined enough? We have no drummer so my friend is the default drummer.

Thanks, I have plenty of energy just not the recording or mixing skills! There will eventually be lyrics but for now we are focussed on tracking.

Well now that you have put me straight... get rid of that awful distortion in my right ear :) And don't make the vocal a hindsight.

If the right guitar ass sound is recorded that way, which it seems like it is, then you're stuck with it. No amount of EQ is gonna fix that mess. :o

The drums are bad too. How are you recording them?

Oh, did I mention the kit is about $200 with a couple cymbals that looked like they have been run over! It's not perfect by any account, but we should still be able to get something decent out of it?

Back