Song for a compilation

Marcadiablo

Still a newbie
Hi guys!

This is a song for a compilation that is been made in tribute to a local (Puerto Rico) rapper. I made this all in my crappy "Studio" and was mixed with headphones since my KRK's arrive next week, so this is not a final mix. I just want you guys to tell me if I'm in the right direction. Thanks.

PS: Is in Spanish so... you know :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13125

Snare highs (and maybe all the drums ,near 4kz) are "over" (IMO).
Bass could to be a bit loud (or boosting something between 60/100, don´t know exactly ) to "glue" better with Bass Drum.
I know is a synth drum, but hi hat sounds really "static".Song could be improved with some loop (and if is a tribute for a rapper...)
But is my taste...

Ciro

I definitely heard the words "kung fu deer" in there somewhere. What are you guys rapping about down there?!? :D

I thought it was a good mix overall (probably way out of my league). The only part I thought didn't sound good was the beginning with the faux old record player type sound. The clicks and pops were a bit overwhelming; it sounded more like a bad mp3.

Otherwise though, good mix.

I definitely heard the words "kung fu deer" in there somewhere. What are you guys rapping about down there?!? :D

I thought it was a good mix overall (probably way out of my league). The only part I thought didn't sound good was the beginning with the faux old record player type sound. The clicks and pops were a bit overwhelming; it sounded more like a bad mp3.

Otherwise though, good mix.
LOL. Thanks, man. The rapper is called Vico C. He's the pioneer of Latin rap. This song he wrote it while he was in jail to he's daughter who was having her 13th birthday and how he doesn't want her to take bad choices in life like he did. It's a very moving song. I'm gonna do a lot to this mix since my monitors (KRK RP-6) arrive tomorrow. Will see how it goes. Thanks again. :)

Your mix is pretty good for headphones. I'd like to hear it after you 've had a chance to try out your KRKs. The drums are a bit snappy/crispy, not sure if a little eq could help, and depends on whether you have separate drum tracks. I think the levels overall are good, and it all seems to blend together. Just the drums need work..... That intro does sound like a bad MP3...:D

I thought it was pretty good, but the drum machine is pretty obvious, I think due to too much high end boost in the drums, and they might be a tad loud.

Thanks for the responses, guys. The drums are EZ Drummer since there's no way I can record live drums. For fake drums I think they sound very nice. :D I'm playing with my new KRK's so I'll post and update as soon as get the hang of them. Thanks again.

I think I figured out what is bothering me about the drums (other than the high end boost which doesn't have same feel as the rest of the song). It sounds like you are using a lot of the "room mic" option in EZDrummer. While this is good, to me it makes it sound like the drums are in a different room than the rest of the band that is either using natural or post processing reverb.

Back