Song direction?

soundprizm

What's up everyone! Just finished song 2, "Judge Me Not," that's part of a solo project I'm working on. Pretty much I'm looking for which song the majority of people favor in order to determine the direction for the rest of the songs. Of course, I'm more than glad to receive any feedback anyone's willing to give; be it the production, mix, recording, songwriting, etc... So let 'er rip! :D

Two place to hear; your choice:
Donnie Menig's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Donnie Menig | Facebook

By the way, these are rock songs (I think, it's hard to label myself :D) but nothing vulgar or anything.

I liked both. I liked the arrangement of "Tear it apart" better, but I thought the mixing in Judge sounded more professional. There are some small things in there that bugged me at points. A few times the vocals sounded didn't sound right(maybe intonation), but it wasn't a major problem. Overall they both sounded good. However thy both sounded similar, so I don't know what different direction you mean. They both sound like the same genre/song type to me.

Thanks for the feedback, man! Greatly appreciated! :D As far as direction goes, I'm looking for two points: 1, if I had to "showcase" one, which one? 2, Judge Me Not is pretty much straight forward with a simple arrangement whereas Tear It Apart has more to it; so am I going for more of a straight-forward rock sound or a sound with more depth and complexity. Decisions, decisions... I should probably just shut up, quit thinkin', and keep recording! Or not... :D

I think "judge me not" sounds better, the vocals are buried in "tear it apart" even though it sounded maybe more accessible? There's a cheap mastered sound to the tracks in general, something about the eq and limiting, it sounds very scooped...Like it's trying to sound so big it's gotten smaller. Can't fault the playing, everything is tight and all the elements are audible so your songs are coming across ok, just sounds to me like it could use a "remaster".

Strat

Hey Strat, thanks for the reply, man! To me, mastering is a whole 'nother ball game, so I don't even attempt to say that I master my tracks. I do, however, slap some compression and some EQ on the track to try and "glue" the mix together when the mix is done. That's probably how I'm getting that cheap Ozone sound. I doubt there's much I can do to stop that due to the lack of a professional room and equipment. I know what ya mean about the "trying to big so big it gets smaller" thing; like at the end of Tear It Apart, I'm trying to keep on increasing the build--building, building, building, and then it just farts. lol! I plan on revisiting Tear It Apart once I finish the project, so everything will sound the "same." I'm also planning on sending out the whole project for mastering once complete; but to me, without doing my little "master" thing after the initial render, the tracks just lack that general "oomph," and doesn't sounds as together, or glued, without it.

In reference to "Tear It Apart," what did you mean by "even though it sounded my accessible?"

Back