Song Comparisons

Bartman

I count on me
Hello folks,

Long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

Here's a link to 3 tunes I wrote, recorded and performed. I played everything except the drum kit which was performed by one of my close friends.

Drums were recorded with 4 mics into my Yamaha AW16G. Audix D-6 on the kick, Audix i5 on snare and Studio Projects C4's as stereo overheads.

Everything else was recorded into Sonar.

There are two different versions of the tunes "Turn Away" and "Somewhere Else". I ran the versions labeled (RNC) from Sonar out to an RNC Compressor in "super nice" mode, back in to Sonar and pushed the volume up a little with Waves L2. The other versions of the tunes were mixed entirely in the box substituting Waves LinMB for the RNC, then L2.

There are things I like and don't like about both versions and I'm not happy with either final product.

Feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=274310

Thanks much,

Bart

What's wrong with the RNC version? I like it a lot better than the other one. It just sounds a lot smoother, which suits the music better, IMO. I think I would go with the RNC, but maybe with a tiny little less compression. To me, the in-the-box versions are too loud, and the mids are more aggressive.

Bartman
Turn Away,
I prefer the non RNC version - not as slick. The bass especially sounds better to me in this version. The RNC sounded like you were blending oils for the So Cal salad market.
This sounds better - like the squalling solo though I'm not sure I like the tone of the guitar during it.
Well played, well sung, well recorded - well there you go.
I think the song needs the edge this version has - too easy to slip into West Coast jacuzzi land otherwise.
Perhaps you could put out a double sided CD the rough & the smooth & let nurture take its course.
&, as ever
Do the Bartman.

Decisions.......

Ness/Rayc

Thanks for the feedback.

After reading both posts I've come to the conclusion that my opinion is exactly inbetween.

I like the edge of the LinMB/L2 version but do find the mids somewhat harsh on the ears at times.

I like the smoothness of the RNC/L2 version but don't like what the RNC did to the low end....the bass guitar sounds mushy to me.

Maybe the answer is close to what Ness suggested....use the RNC/L2 chain but with a less aggressive compression threshold on the RNC. Gonna try that this weekend.

Any other suggestions/feedback?

Bart

Good songs. I like your voice, guitar work. Solid drum sounds, too.

I prefer the non-RNC versions. They seem to have more edge. However, the current versions seem to be a little too loud. I'd suggest backing off a bit. Otherwise, the mix sounds solid to me.

Great work.

Kevin

Kevin Lowe said:
Good songs. I like your voice, guitar work. Solid drum sounds, too.

I prefer the non-RNC versions. They seem to have more edge. However, the current versions seem to be a little too loud. I'd suggest backing off a bit. Otherwise, the mix sounds solid to me.

Great work.

Kevin

Thanks for listening and for the feedback.

Bart

nessbass said:
What's wrong with the RNC version? I like it a lot better than the other one. It just sounds a lot smoother, which suits the music better, IMO. I think I would go with the RNC, but maybe with a tiny little less compression. To me, the in-the-box versions are too loud, and the mids are more aggressive.
I agree, the RNC version sounds much smoother.

Fishmed_Returns said:
I agree, the RNC version sounds much smoother.

I agree with nessbass and fishmed, RNC version is very good, nothing wrong!The other is " excessive, ultra .. over :eek: "compressed and limited .Result (bad):
You lost the dinamics of your (very good) mix.

Back