Sonar X1 track automation

guitarpat

Using Sonar X1, is there a way of undoing the track automation once it's been used? I'm afraid to use it sometimes, because once I do, I can't undo it if I change my mind. Seems like there should be a way. But I can't find it.
Pat

You can either delete the entire automation envelope or overwrite it. Nothing to be worried about here.

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm talking about after it has been saved and re-opened another day, I can't "undo" it. I can't figure out how to delete the envelope after it has been saved, closed, and re-opened.

While you are in track view, automation envelopes show up like a graph overlaying the display of the audio envelope. This is like lines connected by dots. There should be one of these for each attribute that you have added automation for.

Select the smart tool. When the cursor hovers over the track with the envelope the cursor will show a little line graph symbol. If you right click on a node in the track you should be given the option to (among other things) delete the individual node or delete the entire envelope. Save the project after deleting and it should be gone.

Glen

Word; 'Save As' (with a new date or what ever to id the versions.
I do this as often as warranted -to cover progress through the mixes. (for me these are the ones that go to the back up drives typically, but it's also good for doing safety or easy back path for when you want to do 'what if we tried this' versions

So now that you know how to get to the automation nodes you should try leaving them on and using them to adjust your mix. I think you will find them indispensable. It can get a bit messy with several of them in a track in X3 they can be shown as individual envelopes, making it easier to manage lots of them in the same track.

You can automate a lot more than just volume and pan. Try automating the tremolo in an amplifier VST.

Glen

I use the volume automation on the Master to fade out at the end of the song. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it, but it's the best way I found so far.

Back