Sonar vs. Nuendo vs. Cubase and others

Koroshiya1

Hey guys...

I'm just starting out in the whole home studio stuff. I was just curious - how does Sonar compare to Cubase and Nuendo (I'm guessing they are in the same ranks).

Also, how far below the ranks of ProTools and Logic is Sonar?

Thanks!

Pro Tools LE I'm guessing? - limited
Sonar - Pretty good
Cubase - a little better
Nuendo - very good
Logic - haven't tried it but hear you can get great results if you have the time to learn it
Pro Tools TDM/HD good if you got the $$

Now these are just my opinions because everybody is diffrent.

Here are some others to look at
http://www.sawstudio.com/

everyone is definitely different in their tastes....you can make quality recordings with all of though. I prefer/use Sonar and use nuendo also. Sonar is quicker to record with and tracks faster to me than Nuendo, but nuendo's eqing and track wave viewing while recording are very nice. personally they sound different after you've tracked something and Sonar seems to be more realistic. as for pro tools.....its good but i would feel like i would be wasting a bunch of time not having anything and saving up for it than to get Sonar and get going. Protools LE starts at 449 or something like that..and it only records 1 or 2 inputs at a time i think. but yeah your trying to draw some battle lines asking which one of the softwares are better. that could be dangerous.

I don't think you'll hear an audible difference between the different programs. I would think that your sound card would play a much bigger part. With that said, you might consider Adobe Audition at $299 (formerly Cooledit Pro). It has ALOT of bang for the buck and is very easy to use and learn. I would estimate it to be at least 95% of any of the other top end programs, which would probably cover all of your bases, especially if you are just starting out.

Personal taste depending on your working style is the main factor in choosing the right program. All of those high end program have some pros and cons. First of all you should know what you want to do. If you for example 'only' want to produce music, in stereo that is, Nuendo should not be an option for you. If you want to go the Steinberg way of doing things the choice then would be Cubase SL/SX2 (SX3 soon?), since the video implementation and extra surround features that make Nuendo different would just be of no use to you. Concerning your question I don't know if its of any use to give you a ranking. There are differences though, and threads about these are all over the internet.
I'd say, choose whatever you feel comfortable with.

Koroshiya1 said:
Hey guys...

I'm just starting out in the whole home studio stuff. I was just curious - how does Sonar compare to Cubase and Nuendo (I'm guessing they are in the same ranks).

Also, how far below the ranks of ProTools and Logic is Sonar?

Thanks!

I have worked on Cubase & Logic and have been recorded with Pro Tools , digital Performer & Logic. I have friends who have used Sonar & Nuendo

I would say..

Sonar - Very Good

Cubase & Logic - both a little better depending on if you use a MAC or PC ...and if you can be bothered to get you head around Logic.

Nuendo & Dig Performer, both Very good

Pro Tools - The Daddy (only because of all the hardware, which I can't afford anyway)

bottom line is they are all fantastic and will do what you ask them to do, its all about what interface suits you and what is tuned more to your needs.
I use Cubase because I find it to be a very good all-rounder.

Don't forget Adobe Audition 2 or 3 - either of these two version is what I would use (and do use) over programs like cubase. Why? Because it is what I am most comfortable using, the interface is amasing and the bang for buck is also a considering factor.

If you're not a big MIDI user give it a go, I can't recommend it enough - another program you may be interested to check out is SawStudio. I have tried it and then I realised how user-friendly AA is ;)

woo! for long time threads revisted!

I use logic, I think sonar is too cluttered, pro tools looks like crap (well version 8 looks nicer)... ableton live is more for well live stuff, and + the editing doesn't work with my work flow, cubase is great, I used it for a month or two. adobe audition, is good, but I don't like the arrange window like cubase, or better yet logic. I like to have specific tools like scissors, glue, text tools, and so on right in the arrangement window.

Back