Sonar vs. Guitar Studio?

op76

I bought Sonar 2.0XL, but it seems to me, that it is only more difficult to use than guitar studio. I don´t hear any improvements on sounds (midi)...there still has no feature that allows you to record audio + midi directly to wav or mp3. There are various guitar effects to use, but you cannot use them while you´re recording...only afterwards. So could someone tell me, did I really bought something useful? I should´ve bought a new soundcard instead...(I have soundcard which is integrated to my mainboard.)

If I were you, I would have opted for a new soundcard. Sonar 2.0 is a great program, but an onboard soundcard is not what you would call optimal recording gear. You can make decent music using cheaper/free software, but its really hard to get good quality with that card.

Yes I know that, but it´s not what I´m really looking for. I´m quite pleased with my guitar sound (and there are many audio effects and eq´s for it). What I´m really looking for is easy to use program and versatile when needed. I do everything with midi, except guitars, so midi should be easy to use and sound nice (soundfonts?). And maybe this is the most important thing:

How come there are no such program, which allows you to record/transform midi to wav by pressing one single button? It shouldn´t be too diffucult to do!? I know this "stereo mixer thing", but it is still too complicated and it sounds bad (there is some "rushing" noise...this can be caused by my soundcard).

op76 said:

How come there are no such program, which allows you to record/transform midi to wav by pressing one single button? It shouldn´t be too diffucult to do!? I know this "stereo mixer thing", but it is still too complicated and it sounds bad (there is some "rushing" noise...this can be caused by my soundcard).

Because MIDI is not audio. The process involves playing back the MIDI information through some kind of sound source (sound card/synth) and then recording the audio.

No offence, but Sonar is aimed at the more advanced users. If you don't know how to make your midi-tracks sound better or setting up and audio track to record to, then stick with GuitarStudio... ;)

The shortest path to do MIDI to Audio without spend the whole hours to record it one by one thru your song, is taking DXi LiveSynth Pro 1.4. Bounce 'em to audio... BUT it's limited to Soundfonts (no external synth)... Stick with GT Pro, brother...

No offense, but if I were you I would stop recording for a while and read the help file. Or buy the SONAR book.

Of course it's more difficult, it's professional software ;)

Pedullist said:
Of course it's more difficult, it's professional software ;)

...umh... your forget one word. :rolleyes:

:cool: COOL :cool:

Yup...it's Cool Professional software ;)

...and what did they call us, kids...?:)

If you want to create an entire song with two or three clicks of the mouse, you might look into 'Band-in-a-Box'. The bottom line is this: There are no magic programs that will allow you to take what's in your head and transform it to your hard drive without a TON of work. Every project you do should be a labor of love. There's nothing more personal than the music you have inside you, and getting it out for others to love or hate is not a two-click process. Take the advice here, and spend some time reading and studying up on just what's involved in the process. It is a lot of work, and if you're doing it right, you're never gonna be 100% satisfied with the results. You're always going to try and improve, and that means reading and studying. Things like converting MIDI to audio are basic, and there's really no good way to do it besides recording your MIDI device into your audio inputs. Doesn't matter if you're using Sonar or N-Track or Quartz Audio. MIDI is MIDI and it ain't audio. Ya gotta make it audio. And I believe Audio Compositor will let you load a MIDI file and convert it to wave. Keep searchin, dude. There's a pile of recording apps available, and I'm sure there's one that fits your needs.

ed

Back