Sonar & Pro-Tools sharing files?

Radovic

I have a client who would like to record their project between two different studios and each studio is using different recording software & OS. I am using Sonar 2.2 with MS/XP and the other is using Pro Tools version ? on Mac. Can this work? I cannot find any compatability information or file sharing specs (quickly) anywhere.

Also, what parameters or file constraints should I be aware of? The client would like to transport the hardrives between the studios. Any and all information would be appreciated,

Radovic :?:

I'm far from an expert in this area, and I've never done it myself, but I think the OMF format will allow you to do this. Sonar can both read and save in the OMF format.

Also, the Mac uses an AIF format for audio, as opposed to the Windows Wave format. In the Export OMF dialogue within Sonar, you will have the option to choose to save audio as Wave or AIF.

I suggest doing a couple of dry runs first, or get some more advice from someone who's "been there, done that." Bottom line, though, it should be doable. I believe this is the very reason OMF capability was built into Sonar.

Question for Moskus & dachay2tnr,

The 'Big' studio in Chicago using Protools tell me there is no OMF format they can export to so they suggest WAVE or AIF.

What are you thoughts on this?

Radovic

Tell them to read the manual! :D

Seriously, if they have updated ProTools (the actual program) during the past 2 years, they should be able to export to OMF. Maybe they've never done that? :confused:

The difficulty in working with Wave or AIF format is that you will have to export each separate track as a file.

So, for example, if you have a 20 track project that you want to import into Pro Tools you will have to export 20 wave files, and then import 20 separate wave files into Pro Tools and realign the tracks.

It can be done (and I'm sure it has been done many times). However, if I understand the OMF format, it should allow you to export/import the ENTIRE project in one shot.

Also, how are you planning to transport the file(s)? On CD? Depending on the size of the project, this could force you to use Wave or AIF files - since the project *couild* end up being too big for a CD.

If you end up using wave/AIF files, make sure when you export them you keep the mono tracks mono, and the stereo tracks stereo. There's an option in the Export dialogue window.

Radovic said:
Question for Moskus & dachay2tnr,

The 'Big' studio in Chicago using Protools tell me there is no OMF format they can export to so they suggest WAVE or AIF.

What are you thoughts on this?

Radovic

tell the guy to upgrade his protools..OMF support start in i THINK 5.3 and up

I do "it" all the time

Its easy with OMF and its also easy to just export seperate files in sonar - just make the start time of all tracks the same. I usually get and OMF from an AVID editor and give them a final mix with a tw-beep.

WHat studio in Chicago are you working with? I am here in the loop.

lD

Back