Sonar / MAudio Audiofile 2496....does'nt disclose all spec details

tcdave

Copied from another topic .....

"Delta - Maudio I tried the m-audio 24/96 card for one day, it was pretty clear that the driver was antiquated and the software was bare bones. My system rejected it basically. Anyway, I think drivers are the game and to prove it, audigy sells a ton of cards, their drivers and software are very sophisticated. Too bad their hardware doesn't stack up for pro audio recording."

Yeah, I just found out today from Cakewalk that using the Audiofile 2496 with Sonar and the ME operating system only gets 23ms latency. I need to go to 10ms or less....

Apparantly, using XP/2K will cure this problem. My problem is that I think alot of my programs are compatable up to ME....

So, I have a problem.....(bummer thing is that I have acquired alot of softsynths and plug ins already)

tcdave

Re: MAudio 2496

tcdave said:

"Delta - Maudio I tried the m-audio 24/96 card for one day, it was pretty clear that the driver was antiquated and the software was bare bones. My system rejected it basically. Anyway, I think drivers are the game and to prove it, audigy sells a ton of cards, their drivers and software are very sophisticated. Too bad their hardware doesn't stack up for pro audio recording."

Yeah, I just found out today that using the Audiofile 2496 with ME only gets 23ms latency. I need to go to 10ms or less....

Apparantly, using XP/2K will cure this problem. My problem is that I think alot of my programs are compatable up to ME....

So, I have to go around this problem.....

tcdave

:confused:

I think you posted this in the wrong place.

To answer your doubts though, I have yet to come across a piece of software that works in ME and not in XP. XP was intentionally designed to give better backwards compatability than 2000 - it is the OS that finally migrates everybody away from the DOS based 9x OS's and sets the NT platform as the default for all consumer and corporate markets. That is why they incorporated the Compatabiliy tab when you bring up properties for any Executable (.EXE) file.

Re: Re: MAudio Audiofile 2496

brzilian said:
:XP was intentionally designed to give better backwards compatability than 2000 - it is the OS that finally migrates everybody away from the DOS based 9x OS's and sets the NT platform as the default for all consumer and corporate markets. That is why they incorporated the Compatabiliy tab when you bring up properties for any Executable (.EXE) file.

When did this happen? What about the drivers to my hardware? I thought XP was the KING of incompatablity?

My computer is about 2 years old. Athlon 1.4 ghz....

tcdave

PS - I think XP might be good in the "backwards compatability" but it is most likely not "100% backwards compatable".

Drums and softsynths

I want to play drums thru softsynths and software based samplers. Having 23 ms is no good.

tcdave

ps - I just realized that my MAudio Audiofile 2496 soundcard still can be used as a frisbee....

XP is not 100% compatible, it's closer to like 99%. Pay the hundred bucks for the home edition upgrade. Your processor will handle it fine.

If you want to make that card a frisbee, why don't you throw it to me?

:)

tcdave said:

"Yeah, I just found out today from Cakewalk that using the Audiofile 2496 with Sonar and the ME operating system only gets 23ms latency. I need to go to 10ms or less....

So, I have a problem.....(bummer thing is that I have acquired alot of softsynths and plug ins already)

tcdave

tcdave... the Audiophile 24/96 is an amazing card with rock solid drivers that integrates wonderfully with Sonar. The reason you would get unusable latency w/ Win ME or even 98SE has nothing to do with the soundcard. It is because your forced to use MME drivers in WIN ME rather than WDM drivers in 2000/XP. You sound as if you want to be doing recording w/ live input monitoring (where latency would be an issue), so remember your softsynths would be useless to you as well.

My advice? KEEP the AP 24/96! Upgrade to Win 2000pro/XPpro!

good luck.
ls

Re: Re: Sonar / MAudio Audiofile 2496....does'nt disclose all spec details

lost studios said:
My advice? KEEP the AP 24/96! Upgrade to Win 2000pro/XPpro!
Agreed! WinME isn't usable to anything (well, a little), and definentaly not a DAW...

Sorry to bash about WinME, but I hate it even more than Win95. ;)

-Moskus

@tcdave

You can even keep Win ME and install XP in a separate folder. Select the one you want to load at boot time.

Re: Re: Re: MAudio Audiofile 2496

tcdave said:
When did this happen? What about the drivers to my hardware? I thought XP was the KING of incompatablity?

My computer is about 2 years old. Athlon 1.4 ghz....

tcdave

PS - I think XP might be good in the "backwards compatability" but it is most likely not "100% backwards compatable".

XP has always been this way. It has also been out for almost a year and a half. Hardware manufacturers have all caught up and released XP drivers.

Actually this was a non issue anyways. Drivers for 2000 work with XP because XP is basically Windows 2001.

P.S. I get roughly 8ms Latency with XP in HS2002 using my Audiophile on a P4-2.26Ghz system.

if u are using sonar 2...u can get the upgrade to 2.2 that allows u to use ASIO.....the wdm drivers for m-audio are suspect anyway

XP XP XP XP what ???

I must say, I keep hearing all this gung ho XP talk when somebody brings up an audio driver problem or a limitation that clearly is the audio card. I'll say it again, You can get your low latency with any of these OS's ( 98SE and up ) if the card is high quality and has the driver support. Many, Many, Many systems are based on a combination of really solid legacy hardware ( such as an old MOTU 8x8 ) and other pieces where the drivers may never be created for XP which is a brand new OS( really it is ). This is where picking a flexible card and one that does what it says comes in, not as easy as it sounds. So I fix my latency but I have to spend $800 on a new midi engine ( sorry we're not talking wimpy midi that a card or PC can deliver ). So XP upgrade can be a terrible solution to an unrelated problem. I think its great that people are in love with XP, but the sober reality is that its a young OS with many driver updates still needed. In fact the last 2 products I purchased had XP addendums in them for driver patches and fixes ( I'm talking printer ). So go by your brand new gear and be ready to consider the impact on every item in your studio, becasue you'll be trading one thing for the other.

Teacher said:
but when it comes to WDM drivers XP/2000 are clearly superior then 9x

Exactly!

Taken directly from Microsoft's website:

WDM Differences in Kernel-Mode Driver Operation. Kernel-mode WDM drivers for Windows 98/Me must follow certain guidelines for using floating-point operations, MMX, 3DNOW!, or Intel's SSE extensions.

Windows 98/Me provides a fixed number of worker threads that might not be adequate for some drivers. For more information about this and other Windows 98/Me-specific WDM issues, see "Cross-Platform Issues for WDM Drivers" in the current Windows DDK.

Later operating system releases support WDM features that were not available in earlier releases. For details about differences between WDM versions, see "Writing Drivers for Multiple Platforms and Operating Systems" in the Beta release of the Windows DDK to be released with Windows XP.

thanks

you guys really brought alot of info to the table....

tcdave

ps - anyone want a 2496 card/frisbee???

Why are you selling the Audiophile? You'll break the 23 ms latency border if you install Win2000 or XP... ;)

Your biggest problem is Windows ME. Get rid of it ASAP. Worst OS Microslut ever made.

Back