sonar latency problem

keerus

i have a problem with lowering my latency in sonar. i used to have a generic philips soundcard, and so the lowest the latency could go was 10ms, but cakewalk was inoperable at that latency with that soundcard, so i put it up to 40ms. a thing that i thought was strange was that all the options for latencies were all multiples of 10ms. i recently got an audiotrak inca88, and i know the latency can go down to at least 5ms. but the slider in sonar only goes by multiples of 23.2ms for some odd reason, and i can't get it to go any lower than that. i've had it before where i could put it down to 2ms but i can't remember what i did to make it go that low. i have taken the philips card out of my computer, so cakewalk is only seeing the inca. i just want to get the latency down to around 2ms. thanks.

Are you using the WDM drivers? It sounds like you might be using MME.

Options > Audio > Advanced > Driver Mode.

Try forcing it to WDM instead of default mode. See if that helps. (I am assuming Inca has WDM drivers available.)

Dachay is right, it could be Driver architecture differences... You didn't say what Cakewalk you are using :) If it's SONAR 2.2 XL, then you can use ASIO driver :) Better wait for moskus, since he also used Inca88. I suspect the Phillip card is crap... I wouldn't even put it next to Inca88 (if I have Inca88) :)

;)
Jaymz

YEAH! ANOTHER INCA88-USER!!! :D :D :D :D

Ok, I'll try to calm down.... :p

James, in the first sentence, keerus states that he uses Sonar. Which Sonar is anybody's guess, but let's use 2.2 as a refrerence (because of the lovely ASIO-drivers).

Let's start with the basics first. Open the Inca88 control Panel. Select Config -> Latency. Set that to 128 (or 64 if using WDM-drivers). Then open Sonar. Go to Options -> Audio and hit the Wave-profiler button (at the bottom). Voilá! You can of course set the latency lower, but you're running a risk for dropouts (the Latency slider is ineffective whe using ASIO-drivers).

I've used the Inca88 for over a year with Sonar now, and on my computer both Sonar and Inca88 are happier if they get to use ASIO-drivers. So pop over to Options -> Audio -> Advanced, and select ASIO from the drop-down box.

If you're using ASIO-drivers, then the latency will be directly controlled from the Inca88 Control Panel. If you're using WDM-drivers, you need to Reprofile your card every time you change something.

Good luck!

Fellow Inca88-user, Moskus
:)

Back