Sonar + Guitar Rig Dropouts

Omniscient

Hello, guys. I've been getting a lot of dropouts when using two or three Dxi plug-ins of Guitar Rig in Sonar 4. I have a 2.4 GHz processor with 480 MB of RAM. I already know what the problem is, I'm running out of resources. The CPU % meter at the bottom of Sonar will climb steadily from 30% until it pegs 100% and drops out.

I was wondering if I could fix this by getting more ram, or lowering all the memory robbing settings on my computer or something.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks again.

I have a 2.8 GH pentium 4 with 1 gig Ram and I can almost never run more than 1 instance of GuitarRig at a time if I want low latency. Sometimes 2 and never 3. So I usually solve this by keeping all tracks except the one I´m currently working on frozen. Takes a little time (and I´m really looking forward to my next machine) with all the "unfreeze - make a small change - freeze" I continually have to do, but it works.

I don´t think there´s anything you can do except upgrading your machine. Adding some ram would probably be a good thing, but I don´t think it would solve anything concerning the dropouts. GuitarRig is pretty good but it is a processor hog.

I can definitely run more VSTs and DXis since upgrading my RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb .. But nowhere near twice as many. It's a case of diminishing returns, I think.

ink3's advice is the easiest: freeze tracks early and often. And note that you can freeze effects as well as instruments. Usually, when I work with Guitar Rig, I'll freeze everything *except* the guitar tracks (i.e. all the compressors and EQs on the bass and drums, etc.), and that frees up enough resources that GR works fine.

Back