Sonar/Delta 66 -- Where did I go worng?

Picker

I am just putting together my recording stuff and have run into a problem between Cakewalk and my new soundcard....

Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo
Intel 2.6c cpu
1 gig DDR 400 ram
Seagate 120mb SATA HDD

I purchased and installed Cakewalk Sonar XL2.2.

Last night I installed M Audio Delta 66 w/ Omni studio.

Installed drivers (selecting m-audio Delta 66/XP) and got lots of warning msgs that the hardware was not Microsoft approved and drivers may make system unstable etc... selected install anyway
... uh oh ... no sound.

Went into system BIOS and disabled the onbord from the Mobo.

Alright!!!! We have sound... everything great .. played some CDs, played a game.. all good

Ok ... so now I try opening SONAR... get an error message stating
"The hardware drives do not support the current audio format or are currently in use by another application.
M Audio Delta 66 Multichannel 1/2
M Audio Delta 66 Multichannel 3/4
M Audio Delta 66 Mutichannel 5/6
M Audio Delta 66 1/2
M Audio Delta 66 3/4
M Audio Delta 66 5/6
M Audio Delta 66 Mutichannel 7/8
M Audio Mixer Mon.

Proceeded into Sonar and it states that no Midi output has been selected you wont be able to hear anything.

Went into the settings, but M Audio not an option (only the old mobo soundcard options show)

:(
Where did I go wrong?? How do I get the sound to work in Sonar?

Please help!!!

As far as the warnings about the drivers not being certified, don't worry about that. Since it's not a standard consumer device it's likely Microsoft will never get around to "approving" them.

Now to this message: "The hardware drives do not support the current audio format or are currently in use by another application."

For one thing, if you installed SONAR and then switched hardware on it, it will have to profile the new card, or you will have to adjust SONAR's parameters related to the card manually. This might be all there is to it.

Also, if you still see the old card's drivers to choose from, you probably should also remove the device from the system rather that just disable it in the BIOS. Your problem might be that the driver types are incompatible with each other (I don't know if you can have one device that uses WDM drivers and abnother that uses MME drivers, for example, set up simultaneously.)

Is this Windows XP? There are some issues there that, being still on Windows 98 SE myself, I am not specifically aware of. Did you check M-Audio's FAQs on their website? (You also should check Cakewalk's SOANR FAQ on their website, and maybe search the SONAR newsgroup and this site).

The message "no Midi output has been selected" is normal here, because you have no MIDI output device to select. The Delta 66 is an audio-only card and has no MIDI interface or built-in synth. You might be able to select a software synth like the Virtual Sound Canvas here, but if you want to send MIDI messages to an external sound module or use a MIDI keyboard to record MIDI data, you'll need a MIDI interface in your system. Without a MIDI output device, there is nothing to be triggered by the MIDI messages that might be in a project, so you won't hear the notes that the MIDI messages are wanting to trigger, but this won't effect audio tracks at all.

thanks much.

I tried Using cakewalks "Wave Profiler" last night... no dice. I'll investigate if there's some parameter that I'm missing.

Tomorrow, I'll got to M Audio's website and update the drivers.

and yes, I am using Windows XP-Professional.

Would it help if I re-installed Sonar? Maybe I'll try that first and see if Sonar can automatically detect everthing if it's starting from scratch

ok, I tried updating the drivers and reinstalling Sonar -- still no sound.... Apparently I dont have something configured correctly.

I spoke w/ the music store where I bought everything and he walked me through selecting the drivers. In Cakewalk I selected Options -- Audio -- Drivers and I had everything selected ...

I changed this first to Delta 66 mutichannel 1/2 and got the same error, "The hardware drives do not support the current audio format or are currently in use by another application."
Switched to Delta 66 1/2 and no longer got the error, but still no sound.

Any ideas?

Have you looked at the M-Audio Delta H/W applet in the Control Panel, made sure stuff is enabled properly?

How are you routing your audio outputs?

I went into the soundcard settings and I think everything is correct.

Currently, in Sonar I have Delta 66 1/2 for the Outs ( I think... might have Monitor Mixer ) I believe I've tried both.

Sound card to Omni - Studio breakout box. L and R monitor outs from that to the speakers

Ah, I missed that you had the Omni Studio... I seem to remember something about a switch that was set in the "off" position (to make it shippable) and its existence was poorly documented... perhaps that could be it. Try a search here on Omni, that might get you some better info.

ok ... I think I've found the problem.
I was trying to playback the Tutorials included w/ Sonar. Unfortuantely, the tutorials are all in MIDI format which the Delta 66 does not support... hence no sound.

With the changes I had made yesterday in place, I tried recording an Audio file... Played it back and, wonder of wonders, I have sound!!!! :D:D ... and there was much rejoicing :D

Now I just need to figure out some tweaks... RTFM.
Saved file and playback from the saved file sounds weird, but I should be able to figure that one out with some study.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help

Back