Sonar and Sound Forge

Charlie

Is there a difference between patching selected "mastering" effects through the mains in Sonar and then exporting to wav file vs exporting to wav without "mastering" effects and applying them to the stereo wav file in Sound Forge.
Furthermore, I know how to transfer a selected track or clip wav file to Sound forge for extensive editing via Tools/Sound Forge, but how do you get the edited clip/track back to Sonar and back in the song again

Charlie said:
how do you get the edited clip/track back to Sonar and back in the song again

once you're done editing in SoundForge, click "save" and the original track will change to the newly edited track in Sonar.

AL

Charlie said:
Is there a difference between patching selected "mastering" effects through the mains in Sonar and then exporting to wav file vs exporting to wav without "mastering" effects and applying them to the stereo wav file in Sound Forge.
Personally I prefer to work with the single stereo track when dealing with Master effects. So I would do this in Sound Forge (or Wavelab in my case).

However, sonically there should not be any difference in the two approaches. If the effect is patched into a VMain, it is essentially being applied to the entire mix, just as it would be in Sound Forge.

If you decide to work in Sound Forge and you are working with a 24-bit file, make sure you have Sonar's dithering function turned off. Export it as a 24-bit wave file, and change the file bit depth as the last step in Sound Forge. You do not want to do ANY additional processing after dithering and changing the bit depth.

Back