SONAR 8.5 Is Now Available

kcearl

I see deaf people
http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CWSP8.50-2RE

New Features & Workflow Enhancements:

· Matrix View—simple and flexible cell-based, non-linear audio and MIDI arranging with live triggering capability.

· Step Sequencer 2.0—the most powerful step sequencing capability in any DAW.

· Integrated Arpeggiator—trigger arpeggiations on MIDI or instrument tracks with in-depth control over all arp parameters. Includes hundreds of presets.

· Session Drummer 3—latest version of Cakewalk’s virtual instrument for easy and fast creation of drum tracks with a new UI, stellar sounding kits and patterns from top sound designers and drummers, more.

· AudioSnap 2.0—updated audio quantizing and time shifting technology with new look and refinements to all the core controls, significantly improving workflow, plus improved offline rendering.

· Media Browser—a new hub for content access in SONAR; supports multiple formats to preview and import your loops, grooves, and MIDI patterns; features presets to grab content from your favorite locations.

· PX-64 Percussion Strip—seven-stage processor designed specifically for use with drums and percussion.

· VX-64 Vocal Strip—seven-stage processor optimized for shaping and sculpting vocal tracks.

· Windows 7 Support—tested, ready, and recommended for use.

· Engine optimizations and stability improvements for recording audio, and while looping.

· “Hotswap” audio and MIDI devices, including control surfaces, without restarting SONAR.

· VST plug-in compatibility improvements.

· Native REX Loop support featured in Track View, Media Browser, and Matrix View.

· BitBridge XR—run 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit environments, with memory access now extended up to 128 GB RAM.

Doesn't seem worth the upgrade to me, especially not at the £69 they want for it in the UK (£89 if you want the actual disc and box)! I'll wait 'til Sonar 9...

In my opinion, the most useful new feature (which isn't even mentioned in your list) is that gridlines can now appear in front of tracks. That is my only gripe with 8.3.

Its getting a slightly mixed reaction on the Cakewalk forum, I guess it's whether the features appeal to you or not..I think for $99 its a pretty good deal but really there's not much I would use..I have studio and the matrix view only comes with PE..also I think Im quite used to Abeltons scene view to be changing any time soon..

still its more than a point update but less than a new version so it may appeal to quite a few..

I did like some of the bundled packages if you were going to go for it though $199 for 8.5 plus Guitar Rig 4 Pro...seems pretty decent value. again if you were looking for it anyway..

With all the email campaigns, youtube hype and various forum buzz, I expected a lot more...8.5?..really.... point five!?! Kinda lame if you ask me.

I'll wait, thanks. and if 9 isn't worth the switch, I'll wait again, or maybe I'll just........

Scott.

I thinks its pretty well featured regardless of the number after it..Id say the vocal and percussion strips wouldnt be much shy of $99 as standalone plugins with some other companies...mind you I went from 4 to 8 so my next update should be around 2013 regardless of features :)

I bought Sonar 8 because they threw in the next paid upgrade for free. I am less than impressed with 8.5 and they are only calling it an upgrade for chumps like me who took the bait. I would recommend waiting for a real upgrade.:(

Since I just got 8.0 about a month ago then moved to 8.5 two weeks later, I am really pleased with the new features in both releases.

8.0 was the best version to date IMHO... I've used 4, 5, 7 as well (jumped over 6)

I'm still debating the $99 to go to 8.5 since I'm really not having any issues with the features in 8.31 except maybe Autosnap (at times).

I am intrigued about the Control Surface hot swap capability and the VX64 Vocal Strip, but still can't say those make it worth the $$$.

Debate, debate, debate...

:rolleyes:

I'm trying to justify jumping from 8 to 8.5 also. The vocal and percussion strips intrigue me, but I wonder if they do anything that I can't already do with the other plugins I already have (comp, eq, reverb, delay, chorus, tube leveler). I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

8.0 was the best version to date IMHO... I've used 4, 5, 7 as well (jumped over 6)

I'm still debating the $99 to go to 8.5 since I'm really not having any issues with the features in 8.31 except maybe Autosnap (at times).

I am intrigued about the Control Surface hot swap capability and the VX64 Vocal Strip, but still can't say those make it worth the $$$.

Debate, debate, debate...

:rolleyes:

Even though I got the free upgrade, the vocal and percussion strips alone are well worth the $99.

Even though I got the free upgrade, the vocal and percussion strips alone are well worth the $99.

That's what I was thinking. I'm moving to 8.5 this weekend. Can't wait. I'm running 6 now.:cool:

Meh....I upgraded to 8.3. I'll have to spend some more dough for the 8.5.:(

Last edited:
the windows 7 compatibility is always a plus, but i'm curious if this vocal fx strip can hold its own vs standalone vsts of the same function?

that would sway my vote a bit.

and the 128 gb ram expansion is important too...because....well you know. future proof?

the windows 7 compatibility is always a plus, but i'm curious if this vocal fx strip can hold its own vs standalone vsts of the same function?

that would sway my vote a bit.

and the 128 gb ram expansion is important too...because....well you know. future proof?

I have the Duende Vocalstrip and the Sonar version DOES holds its own.

its the greatest music revolution in the music world if it makes the Hoff sound good lol

Back