Sonar 7 EZdrummer recording help...

Ricky Denim

Hi guys, just new to the forum. There is certainly a wealth of info here!

I've recently bought Sonar 7 and my past experience with Sonar has mostly been with real instruments, as in no midi/synth work. Just doing acoustic songs really.

I wanted to get into getting some drums on my tracks and just got EZ Drummer. Now i've worked out how to load the VST plug-in, and load the EZD rack, but i have no idea how to actually record what im hearing or program it.

The documentation doesnt really give much info on this.

If i just arm an audio track, and press play on the EZD loop,it will record, but it records the other music tracks in Sonar with it.

This synth rack track/midi thing is kinda confusing me.
If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

You dont record it, there is no need. It IS an audio track on its own.

Here is what you do:

1. Insert dxi/vst ezdrummer.

2. Press the synth rack. Doubleclick on ezdrummer.

3. Ezdrummer will load, it takes a minute.

4. Open grooves.

5. Find a pattern and drag it to the midi track (it will be next to the ezdrummer audio track.)

6. Keep dragging patterns.

Davidk, Thank you sooo much. That makes complete sense, I saw the midi track load underneath and i was wondering how i could make the patterns. I'm at work but cant wait to get home now and get stuck into it!

THanks again mate. MUch appreciated.

Let us know how it worked out or if you need more assistance. I have had it for about 6 months now and been happy with it.

A tip:

You dont have to always use the ezdrummer sounds. What I like best is how simple it is to make patterns and songs. However, you can just use the patterns and use another sound source like a hardware synth. It's nice to have some variety.

Thanks, I'm sure i will haha. Its a bit confusing as i've never really dealt with progs like this before. The sounds are great though. Very happy. Previously i tried out Fruityloops for drums but getting realistic kits was a nightmare.

Your tip is great as i'm actually looking to buy a synth tomorrow. So if it has some nice sounds,I can use them on copied patterns from EZD?
Thats pretty cool :)

Your tip is great as i'm actually looking to buy a synth tomorrow. So if it has some nice sounds,I can use them on copied patterns from EZD?

Thats correct. When you load ezdrummer, it automatically puts in an audio track and a midi track. The midi track is automatically assigned ezdrummer as it's input. All you do is change that and make it anything you want.

For me, the good thing about patterns is speed. Once you get the hang of it you can lay down an entire song in a few minutes. You just drag measures and drop them, then you add a few fills. It really lives up to the name "ez":D

OK,all is good :) This program is awesome.

One question though, when u drag patterns into the track, they seem to just drop anywhere. Is there a good way to make sure the timing is right. Do you have to click the end of the audio loop then drag a pattern exactly to the line?

Just thought there might be a better way, like perhaps snapping to the previous loop.

I cant wait to start putting this down onto previous tracks. Just hope i'm in time! lol

OK,all is good :) One question though, when u drag patterns into the track, they seem to just drop anywhere. Is there a good way to make sure the timing is right. Do you have to click the end of the audio loop then drag a pattern exactly to the line?

There is a button called "Snap to grid".In Sonar 3 it is above the track names and looks like a checkerboard. Press that and it will light up, that way you can snap in a pattern to a measure.

Back