Sonar 6 MIDI Question

Hi, I am new to MIDI, and have some basic questions. I was wondering if it is possible in Sonar 6 to play and record samples live. I don't particularly like programming drums, and would prefer to press the keys and hear the drums on key press. Would I have to copy or drag the samples to particular keys? If so, how would I do this? I have session drummer 2 that comes with the software. At this point I have recorded an midi track, and then applied a soft synth to it and heard the keys that I pressed played back minutes later (there was a nice tutorial in the manual on this). However, I would love to be able to do more with MIDI than that. Any help would be welcome. Thank you.

Session Drummer is a live drum sample playback engine. You just have to have a system and an interface that is powerful enough to support low latency 3-5 ms.

Live Playback

My interface is a two-channel Presonus Firebox, and I have a PC that was close to top-of-the-line six months ago. I am also using a Casio WK 3000 as an MIDI keyboard. The RAM, Processor and other elements in the PC are way above the recommended amounts for Sonar 6. I am pretty sure that the system and equipment could handle it, though not a hundred percent sure. At this point, my hypothesis on the problem is that I haven’t given Sonar the proper directions to do what I want. I add Session Drummer as a soft synth, and open up the box with eight drums. I click the mouse on one of the drums and do hear the sample play back, but I can’t get it working with my keyboard. How would I set up live playback with my keyboard?

keyboard connection

Through the S/PDIF. I also have an additional MIDI cable connecting the keyboard and the cable attached to the S/PDIF, as the cable plugged into the S/PDIF is not long enough to reach. I also have the capability of plugging directly into the USB port with the keyboard if necessary.

Back