Sonar 4P acting wierd

P Hallin

Just started trying Sonar and I like it! Much. It´s feels stable and competent. But this odd thing happened: A project file I made using the program and had worked on for a copuple of days suddenly wouldn't open, with the error message: "The file you are trying to open isn't compatible with this version of SONAR."
Wtf??!!

I've seen and heard of this before - although still don't know the cause.

Perhaps there is a problem with one of the plugins you used. If so, you can get around this by opening the project in Safe Mode (hold the Shift Key down while opening the project).

This will prompt you to load your plugins one by one. Don't load any of them to start, just to see if you can get the project to open. If successful, you can repeat, adding one plugin at a time to see if you can isolate the problem one.

Hope this helps.

Ok, tried it, but alas, it did not work. The error comes up even if I choose "no to all" plugins to open...
Hope this doesnt happen alot. Several days work can get lost this way.
Are some plugins known to do this? I have had problems with SIR myself. But only in one project (the same). It just wouldnt play on account of dropouts...

Depending on how much work you have put into the project, you might want to contact Cakewalk Tech Support.

kgbjamin said:
WTF!!! It's an epidemic!!!! Is some one maliciously out there trying mess with Sonar. Check this out:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=161613

and this:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=510784

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Its a long shot but....have you tried locating the .bun file and renaming it? And/or copying and renaming? Seems weird that your laptop can open it up accross the network but not your DAW that created the bun file :eek:

I would also agree with the advice of Mod Bod in the cakewalk forum - always use project files to save your work, leaving bun files to the final moment before completion and always make multiple copies. This will also load your files faster too ;)

It has happened again! With another project. I am very close to crying and kicking in my monitor!

No, changing names and copying doesn't work. Nor does it seem to have anything to do with any special plugins. It happens when my comp has frozen, stuttering on a sample (it does this sometimes, it probably has something to do with my soundcard). Between working and non-working file I have not added any new plugins. The thing that happened was the comp freezing up (several convolution-based plugs made this happen, even though the cpu count was at 29%).

Ok, to save yourself from this happening, take these steps: Let SONAR auto-update, but choose the "every xx changes" instead of time. This way the autosave won't interfere with playback/recording. Be careful with convolution-plugs. Don't run more than one at a time.

Back