Sonar 4 Clip edit help

deepwater

Well I've stepped into the DAW world with Sonar 4 and a Tascam FW-1884

I can't figure out how to edit waves or clips in Sonar. Say a want to remove a chough or one small sound that got into the recording of a track. I can't find or don't know what to look for in the manuel or help files.

Sonar is not the best audio editor. Most of the tools are located in the Process menu but it is pretty sparse.

If the noise occurs during a silent moment you can either use a vloume reduction envelope or just cut it out and leave the hole.

If the offending noise occurs along with the music (e.g. not during a silent moment) it is probably going to be difficult to remove without affecting the music. Depending on the frequencies of the noise and the the music, you might have some luck using the EQ.

Make a copy of the track to experiment with.

Good Luck
Erich

Mash F1 and search for edit. make sure your "snap to grid is off" or else you'll never be able to isolate your bad sound.

HogansHiro said:
Mash F1 and search for edit. make sure your "snap to grid is off" or else you'll never be able to isolate your bad sound.

I did that with no luck. What is a good wave editing program to edit the wave on then import it back to Sonar - Sound Forge?

I'm having trouble cutting the clip. I thought I could insert markers and slice that section out but I can't figure it out.

I'm really new to this. I'm an anolog guy.

Last edited:
depending on what you want to edit here are two ways of doing it.

1. Turn off snap to grid..Click on your snap to grid button on the menu bar that is attached to the top of your track views. This will allow you to click on items other than the pre-set time measure. for example if its set on whole measures your mouse will automatically select the closest measure start/end. Now that snap to grid is off click on the magnifying glass with the "+" on the bottom right of the view window. clicking this multiple times will allow you to stretch out the view vertically so you can see more audio wave detail. Now once you see where your offendinf mistake is you can right click right before or right after it and select "Split Clip". You can either Split the clip on both ends of your mistake and simply highlight and delete it....or if you only split the clip on one side of your foul-up you can grab the edge of your clip by right-clicking on it and dragging it past your bad spot. This removes it from your view and it will play. Also anytime you split you can also drag the nre split edge and still recover the data you split from it. just play with it.

2. With snap to grid on......split the clip as described above so you have the measure or mesaures in question in its own little bubble/clip. Double click on that clip and the loop editor window will open. once you are in it, it is your basic editor....cut/paste/delete...the usual. the changes will take place on your clip when you exit the loop window.

hopefully this might help. The key is to isolate the section first then you can eq it, comp it, delete...etc.

Back