Sonar 2 XL: Delta 1010 will not playback songs recorded with SB Live!

MrLip

A while back my Delta was screwed up so I was recording with a SB Live Value. My Delta is fixed now and it's been working fine. But today I tried to listen to some of the stuff I did on the SBLive and guess what, I can't hear anything. I press play in Sonar, the time display runs, the cursor smoothly runs across the screen but there is no audio output registering on the meters or coming out of my speakers. On audio tracks WITH audio, nothing displays on the meters, even though there is obviously WAV data on the track. I open up my Delta control panel during playback and nothing registers on the meters there either.

My Delta works fine w/ new Sonar projects. It has also been working fine with Sonar projects recorded on other computers (I'll write a CD of the Sonar+audio files at my friend's house, bring it home, and have no trouble opening/playing it.)

I did find a way to get it to playback: by using the SBLive drivers.

If I disable my Delta drivers and use only the SBLive drivers it works. BUT I must assign the SBLive drivers as both Playback and Record timing master. If I do not specify a record timing master I get no audio output, and if I do not completely disable my Delta (ie. leaving the Delta drivers enabled but not selecting them), it playsback but with pops & clicks.

This is a real pain in the ass.

Anyone else had problems like this and/or have a solution? Is this a Sonar problem? or a Delta driver problem? The Delta seems to work fine with all other applications.

Last edited:
ive got the same setup as you. sonar 2 xl and delta 1010. i used to have an SBLive, but i ripped it out and sold it. i have all sorts of stupid little problems like this sometimes and am considering changing my setup to something else.
after a while, you get tired of going into control panels and junk like that within the delta and in sonar as well.
i wonder what the pro tools system is like.... hey, but its good to hear youve got your songs again!!!!

In the projects that you are having the problem with, what VMain are the tracks assigned to and what is that VMain assigned to?

It sounds to me like you probably have the VMain pointing to your SB Live or to your Delta SPDIF or something like that. Reassign it to the correct Delta output pair and your problem should disappear.

No. I just double-checked. I only have 1 output enabled which is the Stereo Delta 1010 1/2 and all the tracks (including the VMain) are selected to use this output port.

How about your Options > Audio > Master Playback Clock? (Just Guessing)
Is your Windows Mixer set to the 1010? How about the Delta Mixer utility?

MrLip said:
No. I just double-checked. I only have 1 output enabled which is the Stereo Delta 1010 1/2 and all the tracks (including the VMain) are selected to use this output port.
Mr. Lip, did you specifically check it for those projects that you are having the problems with? I'm pretty sure the VMain assignments are stored on a project-by-project basis, so you need to specifically check how it is set up in one of the problem projects.

Yes I just specifically checked the projects that I'm having trouble with. I only have 1 audio output driver enabled and that is my "Delta 1010 1/2". All audio tracks are pointed to this output. During playback, I get no sound and no signal on the meters even though there is visible wav data on the track.

ChuckU: Yes everything is set fine. If I open a wav file in winamp or windows media player, all playsback with no problems.

I just discovered another weird thing: When I click on "Run/Stop the audio engine", it will not stay engaged for projects that I recorded with my SBLive. However, recent projects that I've done completely on the Delta have no problems.

What's the bit depth/ sampling rate? I know my MOTU won't playback anything lower than 16/44.1. Somethings downloaded from the net that was at 8/22K won't playback.

This is a little off subject because I don't have the 1010. But there are times I've seen with sonar that nothing plays. I have to reboot my comp. and everything is fine.

I have the same setup as you. I once couldn't get sound out (as you describe) and all the tracks SHOWED little wave squiggles ... ultimately tracked it down to .... this is really stupid .... the Maudio control panel. I had somehow turned all the outputs off. And I've been known to not have the right output clicked ... I always use "monitor out" in the Delta 1010 control panel. Just a thought ... sometimes we overlook the obvious.

I'm quite sure this is a Sonar problem (although I'm not completely ruling out the possibility that the Delta WDM drivers are a culprit.) I have no problems with other audio applications (winamp, sound forge, cubase sx, logic audio, wavelab)

It's too bad. Among sequencers, I think Sonar is the best thing out right now (except for its poor plugin support -- if only it supported VST & VSTi. In general, most of the DXi plugins just don't cut it.) It's easy to use and it does what I want it to do. But I have found it to be quite unstable, to the point where I'm going to have to switch, at least for now, to either Logic or Cubase.

Back