Sonar 2 and Gigasampler

williamconifer

Greetings, I am have Sonar 2 xl and Gigasampler 160 running on Win2k with a Terratec EWX2496 sound card. The card has GIS drivers for Gigasampler that allows multithread with other drivers.

2 questions:

1.) How do you set up midi between sonar and Giga for both to work? (be specific, I am new to midi so dumb it down. hehe). I can put giga samples in channel 1 and 2 of Port 1 and I can assign a midi track in Sonar to the Giga ports and either channels. However I only get a response from Giga in Port 1/Channel 1. Not channel 2.

2.) Above I mentioned "response" in Giga. I mean I see the voice count increase and the Channel VU meter move but no Sound. No sound in Sonar either. How can I get audio from both Sonar and Giga?

Thanks folks
jack

Go to options midi devices and make sure the nemesis driver is enabled.
Make sure sonar is listed as the sequencer in your gigastudio settings page.

You must always open gigastudio first the click the notes on staff icon on the toolbar which will launch Sonar.
Pick a midi track and scroll down the output bar,you should see a nemesis midi out.
select the channel you have loaded your gigasample to.
The input should be the channel the controller/keyboard is transmitting.
Record away!!

I have GS32 AND I LOVE IT!

Check this place out if you have'nt already,

http://www.worrasplace.com

Jack

From your description, I suspect the problem is within Gigastudio itself. Remember that Giga has its own integral mixer and the audio routing must be set up to go through that mixer and come out the other end to your soundcard. It sounds like the second channel is getting lost in between.

Firstly, how many virtual inputs do you have on your soundcard? If you go to the SETTINGS page in Giga, then the HARDWARE/ROUTING tab, it will show the soundcard selected, with tick boxes for up to 16 stereo pairs. If its a simple stereo card, then all except the first pair will be greyed out. Otherwise, you should tick as many as you can.

Then, the signal routing for each sample goes like this:

Sample loaded in port - output to DSP mixer - DSP mixer - output to soundcard.

Now it sounds like the sample is loaded in the port OK and is being triggered OK. If you hit the MIDI MIXER tab, and go to the bottom of the channel strip, there will be an output selected to send it to the DSP mixer. I bet the first channel says 1-2. What does the second channel say?

Next, go to the DSP MIXER page, and you will have another set of channel strips. At the bottom of each strip is a field where you can select which of your soundcard's inputs that channel goes to. Again, its a pretty safe bet that the first channel is going out to soundcard inputs 1-2, but after that I don't know. It could be that the second channel is going out to 3-4, but your soundcard isn't set to receive on that channel. Or whatever.

This stuff is a pain but you only have to set it up once. I have a 16 channel soundcard with its own mixer app so I just send all the Giga channels straight through the Giga mixer. But its not always set up that way by default.

Give this a look and see how you go. You may need someone who knows your soundcard to help with the last stage in the chain.

Back