Sonar 2.0 XL and Wavelab/Soundforge

f. lai

How essential is Wavelab or Soundforge in 2.0 XL? Does 2.0 have CD burning capabilities in it? What are the specific advantages of obtaining one of these additional products?

I don't believe Sonar 2 has CD burning capabilities. You can find a list of features at: http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/PR-SONAR2.htm

While you can probably live without Wavelab or Sound Forge in conjunction with Sonar - I personally wouldn't want to. I use Wavelab as a wave editor, a mastering program, and a CD burning program.

Wavelab has many tools you won't find in Sonar, such as elimating DC offset, a wave reverser, a loudness anaylzer, a bit depth converter and a sample rate converter. Wavelab 4 also now provides a native FFT spectrum analyzer and can burn data CD's as well as audio CD's.

To me these programs complement each other very well. However, your question was are they "essential", and I guess the answer to that is no. You could live without them and still produce good stuff. You could also build a house with a hand saw rather than a power saw - so is the power saw essential? Depends, I guess, on how many houses you plan to build, and how deep your pockets are. :)

Back