Somewhat off-topic: Vegas Video

justinchannell

I realize this isn't about home recording, but am I the only one that finds Vegas Video to be an extremely underrated product? Everyone seems to latch on to Premiere and AVID, but I prefer Vegas to both of them...

Just wanted to vent.

THe best interface around

The strength of the product besides the multiple file format support is the interface, since we're all venting...
and the f11 hot key...
very productive... and I used premiere for a couple of years... when I went to vegas, it was like losing a 100lbs...

Im a huge vegas nut and use it for audio purposes. The editing cant be touched. As soon as vegas 4 gets over its teething pains, Ill be one almost happy mofo

It's not too shabby in the video dept, either.

Does a few tricks that I'm still trying to find a way to do in Premiere...

Vegas Video rocks! I love it for video and audio.

I can't wait to get the Vegas 4.0+DVD.

That DVD Architect is going to take my film scoring demo to new heights. I hope.

I use Vegas Video 3.0 here at the planetarium for doing our audio and our video. It definitely kicks butt. I've played around a bit on Premier and FCP and truly prefer Vegas. Heck, at home I still have Video Factory! :)

-WayStar

Vegas is actually pretty highly rated in some video mags I've read, but they often say it's more of an audio program tho, which is true compares to other video editing programs.

AL

Brad said:
Vegas Video rocks! I love it for video and audio.

I can't wait to get the Vegas 4.0+DVD.

That DVD Architect is going to take my film scoring demo to new heights. I hope.
I just checked their website... the upgrade from Vegas 3.0 to 4.0 is only $199.

I forgot to check the 4.0+DVD version (I already have DVD authoring software... sorry)

It has some pretty neat new features to it... including 5.1 surround sound capabilities and 24bit 96kHz sampling.

One feature I liked in particular was the vectorscope (It breaks down the video colors and luminances) as to purchase an external one would be very expensive.

pipelineaudio said:
Im a huge vegas nut and use it for audio purposes. The editing cant be touched. As soon as vegas 4 gets over its teething pains, Ill be one almost happy mofo
Do you have 4.0 right now?

If so, what kind of "teething pains" are you referring to?

FYI,

I just got my copy of Vegas 4.0+DVD (but only after it being delayed for 3 days because of 4 foot of snow! But I digress...) I probably would have waited for it to be patched a few times but the introductory upgrade offer was too good to pass up...
Anyway, there definitely are "teething pains" associated with this first release. Here are a few of it's problems:

Vegas 2.0 files will not import into Vegas 4.0. This may never be fixed unless enough of us scream. Vegas 3.0 files import ok though. So the work around is to migrate your 2.0 files to 3.0 and then load them into 4.0. Kind of lame, but it works....

LOUD static blasts during soloing and un-soloing a track, among other places. They have reported this being fixed in 4.0b though (which is not out yet to my knowledge).

Others have reported "snaps crackles and pops all during the recording process in Vegas 4".

Oh yeah, and I think the disc-at-once burning option cuts off the last couple seconds of the last song.

I haven't verified all of these problems, but other users have reported them to sonic foundry. However, I did experience the static blasts (very annoying), and the 2.0 incompatibility is extremely annoying! So, it may not be ready for serious use yet, but once the bugs are ironed out, it is going to be awesome!
As long as these things are fixed, I'll be glad I bought it. :-)

my 2 cents...

Alan

Doug,

No problem. Before you buy it (if I haven't scared you away!), you probably should check Sonic Foundry's website every so often to see if it's been patched. And then search their forums to see what people say about the patch...

Despite all the bugs, $300 for the upgrade including surround sound multi-track mixing, Dolby Digital 5.1 AC-3 encoding, Red Book CD burning, and the DVD architect software, you can hardly beat it.... well, ok, maybe you can beat it, bug-free software would be a start.... ;-)

Alan
P.S. On another note, does anyone know if Vegas 4.0 does everything CD Architect does?

Back