Something New From A Newbie

boydrj

Greetings,

I am kind of new to this Internet Radio stuff, but it seems really cool!

I love writing music and recording, and just recently found this web site along with Nowhere Radio. Back in 1995, I recorded a few things and I am including them here for anyone to hear.

I have just recently began recording some new stuff which I believe is some of my best. I will post that when I'm done.

Anyway, these songs are kind of different from the norm. They were recorded on a Tascam 488 (remember those). The Korg M1 is prominent, as well as electric and some acoustic guitars.

My singing leaves a lot to be desired, but I am working on it. Also, the mixing could have been a lot better, but I was just learning at the time.

Enjoy and I welcome any feedback.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/9/1483/singles.shtml

Observations From Space- Not a bad tune at all but the high end was killing me.
Mr. Wink- Were we digging "Being For The Bennifit Of Mr. Kite"?
Stick around my friend.:cool:

OFS -- I like the song, and the arrangement, but Track Rat is right, that high end on the high-hat is on the ugly side. If you EQ'd that on the drum track you should be able to fix it. The vocals need to be just a little more prominent.

MW -- Again, I like the song and arrangement, alot, but the drums sound funny, the highs are not as bad as on OFS, but still they don't sound right. Maybe less verb?

anyway, great songs, good work! :D

I'll ditto the previous comments. I liked both songs. They are pretty interesting pieces but way, way WAY too bright. Top end to the point you hear an almost silibence sort of distortion to it. It almost sounds like it has Dolby encoding on it. Fix the sound and you'll have something. :)

Thanks for the good feedback. Track Rat is kind of on the right track regarding "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite". If you cross that with ELO's "Diary of Horace Wimp", you get the picture.

I will definitely revisit these tunes when I get a chance to see about getting some of that high end off of there. Unfortunately, the drums are just me bashing on my Korg M1, which makes them sound a bit distorted and "high ended".

I have a new method for recording drums these days, so hopefully my new recordings won't suffer the same fate.

Thanks again for the feedback!!!

Talk to you later ...

cool intro to "mr wink".... I love that kind of stuff. Your songs do come from another slice of life....and very potentially in a good way. How the heck did you get them so crispy without a bunch of noise? When the recording EQ gets more back to norm, I'll feel more able to address the recording/production and stuff. Good songs....I think...;) You didn't run a carnival in a past life, did ya??

woah...

good tune, but waaay to bright. you need some bass dude.
but a good song(i listened to OFS).

I agree with the need for more low end. I would also bring the vocals up a little. Just a little. Nicely done.

Gitfiddle

Thanks Mixmkr. Actually, it's funny you should ask (about running a carnival) ... I never was a carnie, but I did work at Disneyland for seven years way back when...Maybe some of that pixie dust rubbed off on that recording.

Famous Quote from The Rutles:

"I'd like to be a hairdresser, or two. I would like to be two hairdressers."

I listened to both tunes and I dug the songs themselves. I like the strange goovyness of it. I have never heard some of the other bands mentioned so this sounds fairly original to me... I briefly glanced at the previous comments..'

The recordings were not pleasing at all to my ears though.. I'm sure the reasons have been made clear why by smarter people than me.....cool tunes though...the evil Carnival feel in 'Mr.Winky' was real cool too..

Back