something i've been pondering..

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
I was listening to "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theater and in the part where the vocals come in, it sounds like the engineer took that first piece and reversed it and layered it underneath the normal track(s).. it sounds really neat..
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before and/or knows if that is really what they did on pull me under?

btw I didn't know if I should post this here or in mixing/mastering so if it seems misplaced I am sorry..

i don't know but i've reversed the intro to a song and used a piece of it to swell into the actual intro. i thought it sounded cool at the time. :D

I'm gonna have to experiment with some stuff... cuz now that I think about it there's two other songs that have bad ass 'reverse swells' in them.. Metallica - Freyed Ends of Sanity and Job For A Cowboy - Entombment of a Machine

what you can do is reverse a track, then put a reverb on it set to 100% wet, then render that track and reverse it again back to normal, then you have a reverse reverb for your vocals. kinda neat sometimes, hehe. but i'm sure there's probably plugins that can do that without having to go thru all that trouble.

Awesome.. I'm working on writing something I can actually use this in.. I think I'm gonna try the reverse snare hit thing.. that is, if I can get my drums to sound halfway decent...

the reverse snare hit sounds cool if you put a ton of reverb on the hit before you reverse it. that way it has a longer attack

the technique is to select the first 5secs of your vocal track and reverse it, the apply a medium to long reverb tail onto it, and then reverse it again. backwards reverb, forward lyrics. voila!

For one of the public mix contest things a few years back I took the bridge of the song and put it in front with some backwards-ized guitar licks that came from somewhere else. The song didn't have a guitar solo before I made one from the sporadic licks that were provided. What I ended up with included forward and backward guitar passages within the same solo.

I also edited the vocals and a few other things. It was time consuming. :)

The actual "mix" didn't get scored very well, but my real agenda was editing at the time.

Looks like there's some cool ideas in this thread. Good stuff.

sl

Back