Something is wrong with my recording

PapaM

I have been using Adobe audition 1.5 many years and now i am annoyed by this thing that happened now when i wanna record something.. Its like the program cant take in the full sound of my microphone!
And when i record it keeps cutting this straight line above the audio level.. Look at these pics!

2D315830-9BFA-400E-972F-0143D918169D.jpeg
It sounds awful and its never been like that before, anyone know how to fix it ? Please!

// PapaM

Looks like clipping but still, check all the settings in both your DAW and your interface to confirm all parameters match. Sampling rate, bit depth...

I've never seen a case of bit depth or sample rate causing too much gain. It has to be in a gain setting somewhere, either in the interface or the Windows settings, depending on what hardware the OP is using.

Perhaps they can give a bit of info on the hardware being used, (interface, USB mic, ASIO or Windows driver?). That might give a better idea of where to look. The path for a USB mic would be different from a Scarlett 2i2 and a condenser mic.

Can you show us more of your screen? You've cropped out lots of stuff that could give us a clue. If you really want people to help then you have to tell us exactly what hardware and software you are using and show us everything.

I have been using Adobe audition 1.5 many years and now i am annoyed by this thing that happened now when i wanna record something.. Its like the program cant take in the full sound of my microphone!
And when i record it keeps cutting this straight line above the audio level.. Look at these pics!

View attachment 135611
It sounds awful and its never been like that before, anyone know how to fix it ? Please!
I can't really tell from the screenshot - but if I was to guess you have some kind of hard limiter on the tracks - that isn't clipping to me - unless you are blowing out the tracks - I assume it happens on every track? - look at the track input to see if there is a limiter bussed on it - or comes automatically with every track - also check your gain settings between your interface and Audition.

I can think of two ways that could happen. First, there's a fault in your hardware that causes a gain stage to run out of voltage at a lower level than normal. Second, you have the magnification of the waveform set to a negative value and you're setting your level by eye. The second one makes some sense because it looks like if that waveform weren't clipped it would extend beyond the bounds of the track display.

Hello everybody and thank you for your time.. I will print everything and put here in the thread as soon as possible maybe you can find out something :) Brb!

When you record in Audition, it's normal looking, but in the other pictures audition is saying that the actual peak level is low, but clearly it's overdriven. First thing is that you've not said what the interface is? You could be overdriving the first A to D stage - this would do the flat=top thing, but somehow after this, the level has been reduced to get the -50dB ish level. I don't think it's possible but could you be crushing the signal in the interface, but with it doing a 16 bit conversion that somehow is detected at 24bit - which would generate headroom, but the damage has been done earlier in the chain.
I'd drop the input gain down way, way low and see if you can get a normal but low level waveform, and gradually increase the level until it flat tops - and see how this relates to the meters?

I solved the problem guys. I got into windows classic soundsettings and i saw that my mic was put on 70 and now i change it to 100 and now it is like its always been! Thank you for the help anyway! Im so pleased now!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I solved the problem guys. I got into windows classic soundsettings and i saw that my mic was put on 70 and now i change it to 100 and now it is like its always been! Thank you for the help anyway! Im so pleased now!

Glad to hear it. Somehow I suspected you were using the Windows driver, rather than ASIO drivers. I've seen those setting get changed without people knowing about it. like from an update.

Back