something different...to me at least

tremblayj

so today i was watching some online performances and i came across this http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/City+...Articles/CityAndColour.htm?isfa=1#msnPlayer_p
his name is dallas green and he is well known in canada but i am not so sure about the states. anyways i really liked the sound he was getting and noticed that the vocals were being sung into a LDC and what appears to be a dynamic mic setup side by side behind one wind screen. is this a normal setup and what is the idea behind it. sorry if this seems like a stupid remark but i just never thought of recording like this and was just wondering what benefits there might be to it.

Big Mic thread

tremblayj,

Harvey Gerst covers a two mic technique in the Big Mic Thread and I have used it recording several times.

One mic set up like a regular vocal mic that the singer sings into. Another, usually an LDC set up above it pointing at the singers forehead or bridge of the nose. This higher setting cuts down on nasality.

Then after the track is cut you can compare the two mics and see which you like better or mix them together if that's best.

In the situation you described, using two mics behind one windscreen I'll bet they were doing something else. This is a total guess but I bet they were using the dynamic on songs where the singer was louder, shouting or rocking and the LDC on songs where he was quieter and they wanted to catch every detail. More like selecting the vocal mic to match the song in the studio than mixing two mics together.

I may be completely wrong on this but it's something I might try if I were working with the same artist all the time and he had varied vocal techniques.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

This is a total guess but I bet they were using the dynamic on songs where the singer was louder, shouting or rocking and the LDC on songs where he was quieter and they wanted to catch every detail.

That's a really good idea, actually.

I also like to do sort of a 2 mic technique for people who like to move their head around a lot, or look down at lyric sheets, etc.

I like to use a two-mic technique for folks who talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D

My quess is the vocals go to the Manley but the harmonica goes to the
Shure (condencer voc. mic )

Matti

huh, ya i guess i never even thought that the mics were being used for separate tasks. so is it safe to say that this is not a very common ordeal in the studio?

They are using both mics together on the vocals. You can tell because of the careful matching of the capsules positions. The Manley, if you've ever used one, is such an extremely sensitive and accurate mic....it works well on an intimate singing style like this song was presented, but its really really clean. The Beta is probably being used for 'color' on the vocal. The M50 (or maybe an M149), down at the guitar soundhole level is much the same. In order to get the boom out and yet retain the clarity, they put up a mic way up the neck. I couldnt tell what it was, but the stringy attack on the slides between the chords are being generated here and I'd bet the bass is rolled off the Neumann.

All in all, a nice song, well mic'd and produced.

You may be right, I was just thinking this situation ;)

Matti

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 36
Maybe, but again, hes not going to 'cup' the harp and 'work' the mic with it and as your close up shows, these capsules are very close together. Were they to be using the dynamic for harp only it would seem that it would need to be away from the other mic.... It leads me to think they're using them as one. I have done this on several occasions and the results are fantastic.

Back