Something completely different

Jim Soloway

After years of playing nothing but electric 7 string, I picked up a 6 string acoustic on Monday. This popped three days later. It's about as far from my normal fare as I can possibly get.

So did you keep reaching for the 7th string?
You're right - this one's a departure from your other posts. Have you ever listened to Pierre Bensusan? This reminds me of his playing. Nice recording and playing. The guitar sounds very full-bodied - a rosewood body?

This popped three days later.

Dontcha just love when that happens? Very nice tune - skillfully performed. Thanks for sharing - this goes on one of my compilations. Milan

MC Gitarz said:
So did you keep reaching for the 7th string?
You're right - this one's a departure from your other posts. Have you ever listened to Pierre Bensusan? This reminds me of his playing. Nice recording and playing. The guitar sounds very full-bodied - a rosewood body?

This popped three days later.

Dontcha just love when that happens? Very nice tune - skillfully performed. Thanks for sharing - this goes on one of my compilations. Milan

Glad you liked it.

The guitar is not what you might expect. It's a late 60's Harmony Sovereign that I bought on Ebay for $114. It's just amazing. Solid mahogany backand sides, a very thin cedar top and 35 years of aging. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better playing or sounding guitar for 10 times the price.

I've heard just a couple of songs by Bensusan, but I do listen to a lot of that contemporary acoustic style: Doug Smith, Doyle Dykes, and a bunch of others. I actually started playing thsi style in the early 70's and it's something that's drifted in and out of my playing ever since.

About the 7th string, that's no joke. In normal tuning I get hopelessly lost when I pick up a 6 string, but I had a theory that in open tuning, it wouldn't be nearly as confusing and that seems to have worked out pretty well.

Oh boy ... you are my 'candy man'.

I love stuff like this, and many of us do because its really just the best kind of collaborative cloth for other artisans to weave upon.

I hear songs from poets atop these tones. Pianists and prosists reaching for more ...

I've let this roll 10 times or more, just picking up the violin, then the viola and then sitting down with the cello, long tones to support some bass line that might be there, pedaling on D with the cello, then moving up to a low A when you might indicate ...

Making scalar motifs that dance about on violin within DM and AM, adding a Cnat to build a D7 harmony with a mournful viola, it's a wideopen tapestry of simple cloth for all of us to have fun with and that is the heart and soul of collaboration.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

It is a masterful simplicity of fine guitar playing, clean and sweet, somber and happy ... very rich.

A Harmony Sovereign! I know them well - I worked in a music store in the late 60s and early 70s. We sold a lot of them. Well you're right about the sound - pretty hard to beat - very woody. I just listened to it again - nice fat tone. And you mentioned my favorite guitar player of all time - Doyle Dykes - I never had a favorite guitar player until I heard and met him. A really nice guy with absolutely freakish technique. I don't even try to play his music - I just listen -humbly!!

Blessed relief.

Man! that puts me in a joyful mood.

Very nice playing over all. Even the string noise seemed to work its way into helping and not hindering the vibe.

I am going to go cut my fingers off now with a butcher knife so I will have a good excuse for not playing as well as you.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!.......................................plop.

Cheers! :)

Jim!!!!!

This is a new and refreshing aspect of your playing, thanks for sharing with the group!

Dan

studioviols said:

I've let this roll 10 times or more, just picking up the violin, then the viola and then sitting down with the cello, long tones to support some bass line that might be there, pedaling on D with the cello, then moving up to a low A when you might indicate ...

Making scalar motifs that dance about on violin within DM and AM, adding a Cnat to build a D7 harmony with a mournful viola, it's a wideopen tapestry of simple cloth for all of us to have fun with and that is the heart and soul of collaboration.

I'd love to here what that sounds like ina recording. Would you be interested in giving it a try?

Back