Something cheap/simple/good that goes from SPDIF to give me a quality stereo output?

JazzMang

He's Junktastic!
Well, my main recording rig is set up, but my laptop that I occaisonally use as a secondary mixing machine needs some help.

My laptop gives me an SPDIF out and a regular headphone (1/8") out. The headphone out sounds awful (no surprise there), so I need something to go from an SPDIF output to stereo analog outs (dont care which, RCA or balanced/unbalanced 1/4"... i have powered monitor inputs for all 3 types).

What is something that you all have used and have been relatively pleased with that does what I need it to do? Alternatively (although the thought of using it makes me shudder), I can use a USB interface as a last resort.

Thanks for the help

-JazzMang

whew.
thanks for the response bear, but thats a little more than I want to spend on a secondary setup. Any other suggestions?
I am looking for something that just sends clean signal (for monitoring with some decent monitors). Analog output needs to be close to what the firepod offers.

The first cheap thing that comes to mind is the ART DI/O. It has a "toob" in it, but it's only in the ADC side of things; you'll just need to do the DAC side. I see one for 160 on froogle right now...

Also, at that price, you might also want to think about getting some digital input speakers. Roland sells some small ones (4 inchers, I believe) in that 100-150 range.

aaroncomp said:
That won't work - he needs an D/A converter... that unit is simply a connector converter (ie, no digital-to-analog capability, it's digital-to-digital only)

JazzMang - I can't recommend a less expensive option for you (mainly because I don't know of any good-quality budget D/A converters), but what about investing in something like the Presonus Central Station. It's overkill for just the D/A conversion, but maybe the additional features will make your monitor routing easier, as well?

Thanks for all the responses guys.
The more I look around, the more I realize that bear is right when he says that there are no good quality D/A's around that are sufficient for monitoring that are inexpensive.
I like the Presonus Central Station, but I don't like paying for it! :P
Well, let me know if anyone finds anything else that seems like it would be good.

There really arn't many cheap external converters - some of the hi-fi DACS are frankly stupid prices, 1000's.

The complete list of ones I've found...
M-audio SuperDAC 2496 (d/a)
M-audio Flying Cow (a/d and d/a)
Art Dio (a/d and d/a)
Behringer SRC2496 (a/d and d/a OR sample-rate converter and d/a)
Some may have headphones too, the Behringer one does.

For the price of these things and the cost of an optical cable, you could actually get a basic usb "soundcard" cheaper if you don't need better than 16bit/48Khz, which is probably the best you can get out of your onboards s/pdif anyway.
There are some good prices now on some of Roland/Edirols more basic USB interfaces.

Blue Bear Sound said:
That won't work - he needs an D/A converter... that unit is simply a connector converter (ie, no digital-to-analog capability, it's digital-to-digital only)

Ahh, okay. I'm not that familiar with the AES/EBU format. Thanks.

Back