Something about mixing I found out from a Reputable Studio.

nonreversebird

I was told to use as little compression as possible in your mix, pre master. I guess it is kinda obvious that the ME is going to need to compress your mix some in the mastering stage and if you have already done so during recording and mixdown you might not get what you want out. I personally dont like the scooped super compressed sound that a HUGE number of modern heavy bands use. You cant even hear any high frequencys in the guitar. That is essentially why I recorded my rythmn guitars all dry and pretty much flat. So later it could be EQed. I wasnt able to do it and thats when I found out about Mastering and thats what its purpose really was.

Anyway take it for what its worth dont use compression to much in your mixdowns.

Now that should get a friggin rep point.

Sorry - that isn't exactly news.............

The pros here have been preaching that for a long while -- no compression is better than overdone or bad compression at any time. And if a project is going to be sent for mastering, then you should do as little as possible to the final mix. An ME has far better gear/skills to do it properly...

No rep point for you! (but I did give one to Lynn)

nonreversebird said:
I was told to use as little compression as possible in your mix, pre master. I guess it is kinda obvious that the ME is going to need to compress your mix some in the mastering stage and if you have already done so during recording and mixdown you might not get what you want out. I personally dont like the scooped super compressed sound that a HUGE number of modern heavy bands use. You cant even hear any high frequencys in the guitar. That is essentially why I recorded my rythmn guitars all dry and pretty much flat. So later it could be EQed. I wasnt able to do it and thats when I found out about Mastering and thats what its purpose really was.

Anyway take it for what its worth dont use compression to much in your mixdowns.

uhhh, no....

nonreversebird said:

What? For telling everyone not to process final mixes before sending off to get mastered?

Hey man ... Did you hear the Titanic hit an iceberg and sunk?

I should get 2 rep points for that one.

Here's another one: Kennedy was assasinated!

Hell, I should get at least 3 for breaking that story. I'm on a roll.

giraffe said:
oh chill people, it's apperantly news to him
i'm sure you wern't born rulers of the known universe eithor

:D LMFAO

Hey, it was all fine until he got all smart and declared that he "deserves friggin rep points."

If you're going to go around demanding rep points, then you better be able to back it up.

nonreversebird said:
I was told to use as little compression as possible in your mix, pre master. I guess it is kinda obvious that the ME is going to need to compress your mix some in the mastering stage and if you have already done so during recording and mixdown you might not get what you want out.

This is both right and wrong. If I want my lead vocal to be compressed a bit so I can get it to punch through the mix, I need to do that myself in the mixing stage. No mastering engineer can compress my lead vocal on the final 2 mix, he can only compress the entire mix, and he will not be able to achieve the same result as compressing the vocal when mixing.

Now, if you're talking about laying off the 2 mix compression when printing your final mix, then you have a point. There is no reason for me to get carried away with a lot of compression on the final 2 mix. The mastering engineer can do that job a lot better than I can.

Raw-Tracks said:
This is both right and wrong. If I want my lead vocal to be compressed a bit so I can get it to punch through the mix, I need to do that myself in the mixing stage. No mastering engineer can compress my lead vocal on the final 2 mix, he can only compress the entire mix, and he will not be able to achieve the same result as compressing the vocal when mixing.

Now, if you're talking about laying off the 2 mix compression when printing your final mix, then you have a point. There is no reason for me to get carried away with a lot of compression on the final 2 mix. The mastering engineer can do that job a lot better than I can.

I just gave you a rep point for that.

masteringhouse said:
Tried giving rock 3 points, but the system only allows one per person.

Tried giving one to Bear but got the message:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Blue Bear Sound again.

What's up with that?
Apparently, there's a daily rep quota/limit..... I was able to give you some, though!

Raw-Tracks said:
Why, so the mastering engineer can remix your record?

If the track needs buss comp and you can nail it, it's much better to do it in the mix. Strapping a compressor across the buss changes the balances of your mix, period - if it's done while mixing, at least you can hear what it's doing and ride faders, adjust sends, etc to insure the mix sounds like you want it to. It's not brain surgery, do what sounds good, but avoid doing anything for the sake of loudness.

Despite what some would have you believe, we mastering engineers are not the final arbiter of what the mix should sound like - we're hired to take the mix (that sounds like the artist wants it to) and make it shine in the manner the artist intends.

Brad sounds like he had a hard day's work today, a shot (rep point) for him.

Giraffe and Carter are looking a little thirsty at the end of the bar, anybody wanna buy a round for them?

Back