Someone explain this too me...

King Elvis

A couple of weeks ago I was doing some mods on my Strat. I changed out the tuners with Schallers and I also wanted to block off the trem since I dont use it and I dont like tuning issues. I didnt have a piece of wood to block it off, I took this singlecoil pickup that I had lying around that didnt work and I shoved it in the cavity between the trem and the body. It fit good and snug so the trem wouldnt move. Great, thats what I wanted. Man, I got a whole mess of tuning problems after that. I thought that it was the tuners. I redid the intonation and the problem with that the tuning kept drifting. I would tune the strings and without even hitting a note, go back and check them and tuning would be off. Every damn time!! I thought the tuners were slipping or something, I dont see how because they were nice and snug. After a week of going crazy with this thing I re-evaluated what I had changed. Ok, tuners were changed but I cant fine any flaw with them...what else...oh yeah I stuck that pup to block the trem, let me take that s*it out of there and see. Lo and behold as soon as I got the pickup out of there, the damn thing now stays in tune like a mofo!!! Was the magnetic pull THAT strong off of that pup?? Its hard to believe but it must be true.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. My strat has a floyd rose on it. Is your a full floating trem? If it is, block both sides of it and see if that works.

It's probably not the magnetic pull - it's much more likely to be that the pickup doesn;'t fit into the cavity exactly, or that it is soft enough to move with the pressure of the strings' pull. If you have the pole-pieces against the wood, the pressure of th ebridge block may push them into the wood.

Get a solid block of very hard wood that fits exactly so that the block does not move - better yet, a metal block will work better.

My dad used two more springs in the back of the trem block to bring the trem onto the body. It rests on the body and the guitar stays in tune better. So he can still use the tremolo to bend down, but not up. I like it this way but I'm not sure if I want to do it on my guitar. I use the trem a lot. I'm not sure if this is a "butch" way of doing it, but it works.

I know I'm not answering your question, but I thought I'd give you some ideas ... :D

Back