Someone Else's Mind....

R

RAMI

Hey guys,

New tune I just finished. As always, any help is much appreciated.

I think I need to tame my "SSS's". I never have that problem, but for some reason, I hear a need for some de-essing in this tune. Is it my imagination?

Other than that, any problems with levels, etc...?

Thanx

SOMEONE ELSE'S MIND

I only noticed the ess's being a little essy on the "someone elses mind" lines. The tune and mix sounds very good otherwise.

For some reason this immediately reminded me of Wishbone Ash so I went and listened to a couple things on uTube. I think its the vocal that reminds me of WA, but there's also something in the musicianship and song itself that gives it that flavor.

Been putting off buying decent monitors but I think it's time now. Currently monitoring on an old pair of JBL Control 1 speakers fed by an even older Harmon / Kardon citation 21 power amp and I have been reluctant to give too much feedback for this reason. So take what I hear with a grain of salt.

I only noticed the ess's being a little essy on the "someone elses mind" lines. The tune and mix sounds very good otherwise.

Hey, thanx a lot Mr. Magoo.

Yeah, I hear the SSS's mostly on that line, because it's 2 parts doubled, so 4 people (who are all me) are singing that part. I probably should have backed off a bit for the harmonies.

I'll have to check out Wishbone Ash. It's one of those band names that I've heard all my life, but don't think I've ever heard anything by them. Or maybe I have and don't know it.

Thanx a lot. :)

at a few places in the verses (e.g., 0:44 and and 0:50) the lyrics sort of get eaten by the verse guitar. The vocals in the chorus sound great. I can hear the S's in the chorus, but they don't sound bad to me. I think have a deaf spot in that range, though. I post stuff here that has everyone shouting at me to use a de-esser.

Nice song! What compression did you use on the snare? On this listen, it seemed a little too compressed for me, but maybe it's my sinuses.

I'm usually oversensitive to sses.
On 1st listen there's nothing to worry about in that area.
The vox are, generally, a little low, (maybe unconsciously to deal with sss).
The lead tones are cool - particularly the 1st.
The guitar on one side in the chorus dominates a little but nothing to write home about.
Cool song, recording & mix Rami!

at a few places in the verses (e.g., 0:44 and and 0:50) the lyrics sort of get eaten by the verse guitar. The vocals in the chorus sound great. I can hear the S's in the chorus, but they don't sound bad to me. I think have a deaf spot in that range, though. I post stuff here that has everyone shouting at me to use a de-esser.

Nice song! What compression did you use on the snare? On this listen, it seemed a little too compressed for me, but maybe it's my sinuses.
Thanx a lot.

I was afraid that the vocals might be a little low. They sound at the perfect level for me, but it's because it's my voice, which I can't bare to hear too loud. But I thought I might be told they're a little low. I'll notch them up a hair.

I don't compress my snare, but I have a compressor on the drum bus. I'll take a listen again and see if I can back off on that. Thanx for mentioning it.

I'm usually oversensitive to sses.
On 1st listen there's nothing to worry about in that area.
The vox are, generally, a little low, (maybe unconsciously to deal with sss).
The lead tones are cool - particularly the 1st.
The guitar on one side in the chorus dominates a little but nothing to write home about.
Cool song, recording & mix Rami!
Thanx a lot Ray. I can bring that guitar down a bit. :cool:

Assuming you haven't put a new mix up already, I wouldn't have any issues with the esses in the chorus or the vocal level which I think fits the style just fine. I wasn't straining to understand the words.

I'd be trying too hard if I picked anything wrong with this one Rami from a couple of quick headphone listens - I noticed the lead figure in the left channel at 1.11 and 3.10 popped out a little more than when it was centred at other times, which is maybe what some others are mentioning, but I don't think it needs to be pulled in - adds impact. I'd leave it alone.

Killer tune and love the guitar interplay. Double thumbs up.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Assuming you haven't put a new mix up already, I wouldn't have any issues with the esses in the chorus or the vocal level which I think fits the style just fine. I wasn't straining to understand the words.

I'd be trying too hard if I picked anything wrong with this one Rami from a couple of quick headphone listens - I noticed the lead figure in the left channel at 1.11 and 3.10 popped out a little more than when it was centred at other times, which is maybe what some others are mentioning, but I don't think it needs to be pulled in - adds impact. I'd leave it alone.

Killer tune and love the guitar interplay. Double thumbs up.:thumbs up::thumbs up:
Thanx a lot Armi. OK, I will take a listen to that second guitar, only because it was mentioned more than once. I might leave it, but I will give it a listen just in case. I'm going to leave my vocals where they are for now. If I can get away with not turning them up, I'd be happy. Thanx for the help.

fantastic tune Rami I love this type of riff with a funky strummed guitar behind it. You have an awesome bass guitar sound on this. I usually don't make suggestions because your results are much better that what see achieve on recordings. But, I will make a suggestion this time. I think you have too much drive on the funky strummed guitar that plays accent to the riff. It would sound awesome to clean that guitar up....in the context of the riff IMO. The guitar playing the riff with the bass and the lead guitar sound great. A distorted guitar laying down the riff with a clean guitar doing a funky stuff is a formula that's pretty hard to beat in a song like this.

just my 2 cents and it sounds good the way it is so...take it with a grain of salt

fantastic tune Rami I love this type of riff with a funky strummed guitar behind it. You have an awesome bass guitar sound on this. I usually don't make suggestions because your results are much better that what see achieve on recordings. But, I will make a suggestion this time. I think you have too much drive on the funky strummed guitar that plays accent to the riff. It would sound awesome to clean that guitar up....in the context of the riff IMO. The guitar playing the riff with the bass and the lead guitar sound great. A distorted guitar laying down the riff with a clean guitar doing a funky stuff is a formula that's pretty hard to beat in a song like this.

just my 2 cents and it sounds good the way it is so...take it with a grain of salt
Thanx a lot Jimi. There's no problem with suggestions, you should do it more often. That's why I post my stuff, not to get stroked. What I like about this place is that you get real help. People aren't just blowing smoke up each others' asses. The comments here are usually straight forward and helpful. Some people, like me, appreciate it. Others cry and argue.

I think I agree about cleaning that guitar up. I actually sent Greg my raw guitar tracks and he re-amped them through his system. But I ended up using my own re-amped tracks, not because Greg's didn't sound good. In fact, they sound awesome and probably better than mine. But they were a little too heavy for the funkiness of this tune. So, I went with my cleaner tracks, but maybe that funky guitar can be even cleaner.

I'll take that into consideration. I always keep my dry, raw tracks, so I can re-re-amp whenever I want to.

Thanx a lot buddy.

Last edited:
I don't hear an "S" issue. You can hear them, but it isn't making anything bad happening.

Sorry, I can't find anything wrong with it.

I don't hear an "S" issue. You can hear them, but it isn't making anything bad happening.

Sorry, I can't find anything wrong with it.

Awesome. I can live with that. Thanx. :)

I never would have noticed any essing if you hadn't mentioned it. Even then, it's less apparent than a lot of commercial releases. So, not a problem. Drums are thumping, everything is clean and separated. All sounds good. If anything, maybe the backing vocals could come out a little more in the choruses. Maybe.

Love the artistic use of silence with this one.
:thumbs up:

I never would have noticed any essing if you hadn't mentioned it. Even then, it's less apparent than a lot of commercial releases. So, not a problem. Drums are thumping, everything is clean and separated. All sounds good. If anything, maybe the backing vocals could come out a little more in the choruses. Maybe.
Thanx a lot, Chili. I'm glad it sounds alright. I'm really critical of my stuff, so I might hear things that aren't there, in this case, the "SSS".

Love the artistic use of silence with this one.
Thanx. That's my forte. Silence is when I sound best. :D

Alright. Rami did another song. Good man.

I had two listens, a couple of hours apart before commenting.

Someone brought up Wishbone Ash. I love that band, but hear no similarities orher than some dual guitar lead work.
Which by the way was cool. I liked the changes

I hear more Deep Purple, in specific, shades of Stormbringer.

Having heard a bunch of your stuff now, it amazes me that you can mimic other singer's voices, and that with your own tunes you have a signature "vocal sound"

Same with the guitars. It's definitely a Rami tone. And that's good.

Everything is crisp and clear and sounds good.

Ok, here's my nits.
Vocals. Too far back in the mix. Not loud enough. A bit too much processing.

When the choruses come in, the extra vocs bring up the levels so they are heard better. Processing sounds fine on those.

Drums.
Snare is way too hot for my liking and too dry compared to the verse vocals.
Dont get me wrong, the drums sound good. Just not in relation to the vocal.
The drums are supposed to drive the tune but not overpower the singer.
Brought down a bit and a litle less in your face, it would still drive the tune, but let the singer shine more if he came up a bit.

Overall, a fine tune. Well done.

:-)

Thanx a lot RFR.

here's my nits.
Vocals. Too far back in the mix. Not loud enough. A bit too much processing.

When the choruses come in, the extra vocs bring up the levels so they are heard better. Processing sounds fine on those.

Drums.
Snare is way too hot for my liking and too dry compared to the verse vocals.
Dont get me wrong, the drums sound good. Just not in relation to the vocal.
The drums are supposed to drive the tune but not overpower the singer.
Brought down a bit and a litle less in your face, it would still drive the tune, but let the singer shine more if he came up a bit.

Overall, a fine tune. Well done.

:-)
I got to bring the lead vocals up, huh? Damn, I was hoping I didn't have to. There's no processing on them, though. They're doubled (naturally) and I put some reverb on them, as I always do.

I can bring down the snare, but I'll have to listen and think about that. I figure that maybe if I bring up the lead vocals, I won't have to turn down the snare. Or, maybe if I turn down the snare, I won't have to turn my vocals up. :D

Thanx for the help. I really appreciate that. I'll listen and take all that into consideration. :cool:

Oh, and I wore "Stormbringer" out and still listen to it often. :D

Last edited:
OK, I just did a quick re-mix, bit the bullet, and turned up my vocals a touch. Brought the snare down a teenage c**t hair, too. I feel dirty. :eek: :D

DL'd from the first post after you said you did a remix. So I'm assuming I have the latest.

Guitars sound very good. Vocals sound excellent as well. Like the harmonies.

Drums sound awesome. The snare is plenty loud as is.

I like the tradeoff lead guitars later in the song.

Between 2:46 and 2:48, it sounds to me like a volume fader ride on one of the guitars. I really get the sense that the volume is being turned down for a couple of seconds and then turned up. Might just be the way it was played. But I'm definitely hearing it.

There is some frequency on the bass, like around 100hz to 140hz, that I would notch out. It's a bit boomy. If it were me, I'd find that frequency, notch it down 4-5 dbs, and then turn up the bass track a couple of dbs to compensate. I think that would make a more solid low end.

Nitpicky things. It sounds excellent.

DL'd from the first post after you said you did a remix. So I'm assuming I have the latest.

Guitars sound very good. Vocals sound excellent as well. Like the harmonies.

Drums sound awesome. The snare is plenty loud as is.

I like the tradeoff lead guitars later in the song.

Between 2:46 and 2:48, it sounds to me like a volume fader ride on one of the guitars. I really get the sense that the volume is being turned down for a couple of seconds and then turned up. Might just be the way it was played. But I'm definitely hearing it.

There is some frequency on the bass, like around 100hz to 140hz, that I would notch out. It's a bit boomy. If it were me, I'd find that frequency, notch it down 4-5 dbs, and then turn up the bass track a couple of dbs to compensate. I think that would make a more solid low end.

Nitpicky things. It sounds excellent.

Thanx a lot, 3M. I checked out the part at 2:46-48. I sort of hear what you mean, but it has to be the way it was played. I almost never fader ride and wouldn't have done it there.

I'll check out the bass frequency you're talking about. I like the bass sound I got, but if I could make it better, that can't hurt.

Thanx a lot. :cool:

Back