Somebody help me !!

Get a soundcard for your computer that's designed for audio recording - Aardvark, Event, Gadgetlabs for example - some Soundblaster cards are okay apparently.

Next step: hang around this site and keep your eyes and ears open, keep using the search facility, and visit the main page a lot.

With this approach, time is your friend.

I agree with dobro, Although the type of recording will determine what type of sound card you buy. As well as hard disk size and speed. Also processor speed and memory will have a bearing on what type of recording you do.

i have a sound blaster pro and my computer speed is 233 and i have 4.3 gb if that is what you mean. it's a packard bell.

Here's what you do. Download the trial version of n-Track Studio from www.fasoft.com Plug your mixer into the Line-In port on your soundcard. Plug a microphone into your mixer. Hit the record button in n-Track and start playing around. There is no substitute for just screwing around with this stuff, you'll learn a lot. The hardest part is finding a program to actually do the recording from your soundcard. Once you get n-Track, just concentrate on the simple fact that you need to get a signal from something into your soundcard. Think logically and everything will work out. Pay attention to this board and ask questions.

Anyway, all you need is the above to get started. Some kind of preamp/mixer/DI box to get a signal into the Line-In port on that soundblaster and some software. You can not use the Microphone port, don't even try.

Once you get the basics down the first thing you're going to want to do is sell your computer. Packard Bell machines are in my opinion the most unreliable, inefficient computers on the market. I heard something recently about PB being sold or going under and I hope it's true.

Besides the fact that it's a PB, the reasons you'll probably want to get rid of it pretty quick is that 1) Your hard disk is too small. At first it will be fine, but it'll fill up real quicklike. 2) Your hard disk is too slow. A 5400RPM ATA/66 drive is the minimum you'll want for decent performance but the best (for the buck) is a 7200RPM ATA/66 drive. Your drive is probably just a standard EIDE. 3) Your computer will crash a lot. PB are notorious for crashing when the system is heavily taxed. 4) A 233Mhz processor is ok for a few tracks with MINIMAL effects but when you really get into this stuff you'll realize that a fast processor is a necessity. If you have a 233 AMD processor you're really going to be unhappy. 5) Most PB machines have "integrated" components. It wouldn't suprise me if the "soundcard" is just a Soundblaster chipset stuck onto the motherboard. The quality will be less than that of a standalone soundblaster card. And unfortunately, older soundblaster cards like yours SUCK for recording. I know, I use one. 6) Your ability to upgrade anything might be severely limited based on which model line your PB machine is a member of.

Sorry to be such a downer but that's the way I am. But don't distress too badly. You will definately have fun for a while.

So give it a try and when you run into a wall, post your questions here! There's a lot of people on this board who are very knowledgable and more than willing to help.

Slackmaster 2000

Back