some songs ive done with my 4 track

nopoetic

the recording quality is pretty decent, not studio quality or anything but its all clear and sounds good for a 4 track recording. check the songs out at www.download.com/siriusrock

i also have the demos up on my site at www.siriusmusic.cjb.net

the newest song ive recorded is called "4 am".
heres the link to download that song. please click "save-target as" and dont stream the file since its on a server that i dont know the limit of the bandwidth. thank you.

tell me what you think by posting something here and e-mailing me at siriusmusic@comcast.net and give me your opinion there if you wish. thank you for anyone who gives me their time and their ears.

I listened to 4 am........you have a decent recording but everything is on the left side of the stereo field...was that intentional?

I would suggest doubling the guitar track and pan those right and left and putting the vox straight up center....this will give you a wider sound even though you only have 2 instruments.

God Bless

Ok song, not anythIng special though, sorry. I thought the recording was alright apart from a few peaks on the vocals. The vocals didnt have the best sound, did you compress or eq them? no?
Keep at it nice chord prog.

thanks for your comments and i didnt realize everything was to the left, dunno how i missed that but the cord connecting the 4 track to my comp was switched so it transmitted only to the left side when i mixed down. sorry for the mistake, im working on recording a better version of this song anyway. for now the corrected version of this one is there with both sides playing sound. thanks all.

I'm into a lot of the same type of stuff you are

...and I have a few suggestions.

If you're going to feature the acoustic guitar that promiently, make sure it's set up as well as it can be before you start recording it --- new strings for sure, maybe even a pro setup job.

Also, get a compressor and don't be afraid to make mistakes with it. Take a song you've already recorded, re-record it and play with every compressor setting from very gentle to full squish on both the vocal and the guitar, both when you're tracking and mixing down. FMR's RNC model is around $200, and there are many other choices around that price. Learning what compression settings work for you is a lot like learning a new instrument - it takes some time and some trial and error.

From my perspective you're doing fine otherwise - the microphone (s) you use seem to be fine and you don't need anything else recorder-wise.

Keep at it!

:D :D :D :D :D

thanks for your opinion. i think im getting better at writing and the whole recording part is kind of a side thing just to get a decent recording of my songs. i plan on going into a studio and recording a few of them this summer and eventully get an album out of it. i will take your advice though on the compression thing. i havent really spent enough time with this 4 track (ive only had it for about a month) to really get the greatest quality but i think it fairs for now. im gonna buy some different things to help that process along when i can save the money for it though. thanks and everyone keep posting your comments, i need as much feedback as possible from anyone who hears it.

Back