Some Sonar Issues - help?

rweiss

Just purchased Sonar 4 Producer and started recording some tracks with my 8-channel Firepod via firewire. Now all 8 tracks record into Sonar and work well and all, but when I start adding more (around 12 or 13), the timing starts getting off, very noticeable at some points. It's quite annoying and I can't find a way around it. Is there anyway to keep Sonar from messing up the timing of the tracks?

Also, are there any good methods to preventing audio dropouts, because they seem to be happening a lot with 12+ tracks.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Are you using Input Monitoring. It sounds like the timing problem could be latency. That could also be behind the dropouts.

Not familiar with your sound card interface, but see if you can monitor directly off the interface without having to Input Monitor in Sonar. Then turn off Input Monitoring.

That should help with both your timing and dropout problems.

Well input monitoring is off, and I have my latency set to lowest (1.5ms). Is there anything else I could do to atleast prevent the timing screwups?

Not sure where the problem is.

How are you monitoring when you add the additional tracks?

What do you have as your synchronization setting in Options > Audio > Advanced?

rweiss said:
Well input monitoring is off, and I have my latency set to lowest (1.5ms). Is there anything else I could do to atleast prevent the timing screwups?

Try moving your latency in the other direction. I usually record around 4ms on this system (could probably go lower, but haven't seen a need to), but had to use higher on my previous system. I mix at higher latencies (20, or 40ms).

Try it around 4ms and see if that helps, if not just try moving it a little higher until it does. You may find that 8, or 10ms works well.

Also, there is an update to Sonar that is coming out this week (supposedly) that is supposed to fix certain issues with the audio engine and make it play with less dropouts and glitches when doing certain things.

dachay2tnr said:
Not sure where the problem is.

How are you monitoring when you add the additional tracks?

What do you have as your synchronization setting in Options > Audio > Advanced?

I've got Full Chase Lock selected a 0.0ms timing offset.

Back