Some Original Material For A Change

I like the vocals and the melody. The guitar has a nice hook in those three descending notes in the first four bars. It's got a 60's feel to it.

Do you have some saturation or something on the recording? The distortion doesn't come across in the way I think it was intended.

Do you have some saturation or something on the recording? The distortion doesn't come across in the way I think it was intended.
I went thru it track by track. What I THINK is mostly the distortion is the bass track. Everything was miked and the bass amp had a fair amount of fur on it. Add that to the guitar and it can get fuzzy

They don't sound like real drums - sounds like a 808 or something - amazing.
It's funny that you said that. My take was the exact opposite. They sounded like real drums, especially the way the cymbals ring and die out. It sounds nothing like the 808 to me, a machine that I personally despise.

Same here & Golden Earring...

What's that PA you've got there behind the drummer? Just for vocals?
Yes. we have phones but I try to "stay outta the way" when tracking now. I want everyone having fun and thinking about jamming rather than thinking about recording. Sometimes you get lightning in a bottle. Sometimes you don't.

They don't sound like real drums - sounds like a 808 or something - amazing.
It's funny that you said that. My take was the exact opposite. They sounded like real drums, especially the way the cymbals ring and die out. It sounds nothing like the 808 to me, a machine that I personally despise.
I had the 707 which was good for timing new songs - terrible sounds.

I appreciate the feedback my friends. This really started with a instrumental jam with no thought of developing it. It just sorta "happened". I have a handful of tunes that all "happened" that way. I'm not a fan of canned drums in any fashion. The whole idea is to catch people actually playing in a room. For me anyways

Nice song - it's great when you can come up with something like this spontaneously! Only comment on the mix is that the drums sound very dry, and the guitar is quite ambient/echoey. Maybe that's why folks are saying it sounds like synth drums. Thought about adding a little keyboard or rhythm guitar during the guitar solos to fill out the sound a little?

Nice song - it's great when you can come up with something like this spontaneously! Only comment on the mix is that the drums sound very dry, and the guitar is quite ambient/echoey. Maybe that's why folks are saying it sounds like synth drums. Thought about adding a little keyboard or rhythm guitar during the guitar solos to fill out the sound a little?
Thanks. Actually yes. It.s all under construction.

I'm not a fan of canned drums in any fashion. The whole idea is to catch people actually playing in a room. For me anyways
^^ Yeah, this. I like all kinds of music, but at the point when I realized that my favorite music was performed and not generated by a box or an app, I left FL Studio behind and left comping tracks behind and started capturing real playing in one take. That's where the beauty and joy is, like you say, 'for me anyways'.

Good tuneage - I enjoyed it. I'd be happy if I came up with something this good.

The mix (earbud listen): The guitar and drums sound like they're in different spaces. I'd be playing with reverb and levels to try to bridge the gap.

Good work.

Back