Some newbie questions about the MR8

That_Abbott

Hi, I'm seriously considering buying the MR8 because I really need something to record to and my budget is $300. Now, I know you basically need a computer to transfer your songs to, to get the most out of the MR8. What I'm wondering is if my computer would be good enough. If its not, then I'm not even gonna bother with getting the MR8.

My computers specs:
*Windows 98
*450mhz
*64 mb ram
I guess this is my soundcard?
*Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 64D

What do I need to connect the MR8 to my computer?

btw, I read that this thing can run on batteries!!! thats badass!
Thanks

Looks like your set up will work. I think for windows 98 you need to get a CF card reader so that you can xfer the wave files to your PC by popping the mR-8's card into it. I would reccomend some music editing software if you plan to use your PC to mix wave files (which I highly reccomend since you will run out of room real fast on the MR-8 if you leave tracks (wave files) on it.
Since you are on a budget I would reccomend Cakewalk:CLubtracks. It is only 8 tracks, but it will work perfect on windows 98 and it costs only 10.00. I use clubtracks and I ordered it from musician's friend. Hope that helps.

clif

Your PC will not work with n-track. You might not have been even thinking about n-track, but just wanted to let you know. Your PC does not have enough RAM. It would not run on my 64mb RAM pc. I downloaded it and put only two tracks in. On the 2nd track it locks up??
If you do it you probably need to take clif's advice on the clubtracks.

I finally got my mr-8 and we were planning on recording this weekend... but i have a question-

Is there anyway i can make Windows 98 second edition work with my mr-8?
cause it says something about 98 in the .pfd file -->wav manager readme?
how can i make this work?
or do i have to get a flash card reader?
and how much do those cost?- where is a good place to get them?
and what is your advice?
thanks for you help

.andrew.

www.themarlettewither.com

Hi there!

I just bought an MR8 and its just awesome for a newbie. I am one as well!

I am running it into my laptop, which is a P2 400 with 256mb ram and 30 gig hdd. I definitely recommend the ram. I am running Cubase SX but any other software like cool edit, or n-track will work well. But you can definitely run the software as long as you boost up the ram. The processing speed isn't ridiculously slow. With Cubase, I can listen to a track or bunch (I've only done a total of 8) and edit on the fly with a plug in, and it doesn't slow or stutter.

So get some ram! and get an MR8! It will be well worth it!

If you want one....and you live in the US, I may be able to get you one for $289 shipping included. I know they are kinda hard to come by right now.

Cheers, and good luck recording!

David G. Tran

www.random-thought.com

Batteries

I've heard that useful battery life on the mr8 is pretty negligible, so if you're planning to do a lot of recording on batteries, you might want to stock up on them.

Any of you other guys done much with recording on batteries?

Back