some new pop/rock

bleyrad

hey guys, got another one for you.

SONG HERE

Recorded and mixed in about 6-8 hours total. This was just intended as a demo to show to our bassist before we actually record our album, so we'll be completely redoing this recording (along with many others like it) very shortly, with way better mics and spending much more time on getting tones right etc.

And because this wasn't really intended for anything, please forgive the first-take sloppy drumming on my part :)

Comments and criticisms, on both the mix and song, are very welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow, this is good. What's the deal? 6-8 hours, it takes that long for me to get out of bed. How'd you record this, what's your gear, is it all you?

Just a demo? I mean the vocal could be louder, and other little things, but your gonna do it over, and it sounds to me like you don't need mixing/recording tips....

The only criticism is just the vocal style (Ben Folds, geek rock thing).

Macle

Nice song Bley---I'm all for catchy pop songs and you got one here--nice musical hook with the synth--vocals are a bit low--but still audible---lol the first drum break is kinda funny(for its non-existence)--I'm hearing a swishing sound in both ears panned hard either way(especially towards the end)-is that the cymbals? Sounds like a bit of boom could be taken out of the rhythym guitar and the vocals would be perfect...Well you're gonna re-do this so who cares what I say...Definetely a nicely arranged and well written and played pop-song. Enjoyed it.

Excellent! I love Ben Folds, and this has Ben Folds written all over it. So for me, this was a real enjoyable listen. But I love macle too;) ! Vocals up a little!

Twist

Ditto on the low vocals. This is one of the best songs I've heard in my short time here and I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe I would double the vocal at the end "and the day keeps moving on", etc. Sounds like a little more meat their would culminate the tune nicely. Great, great, great song. As I said, I am new here but I can promise you will not hear me say that often.

macle said:
Wow, this is good. What's the deal? 6-8 hours, it takes that long for me to get out of bed. How'd you record this, what's your gear, is it all you?
Macle

recorded in my living room. preamps were mackie VLZ (not pro) into a MOTU 1224 using nuendo. most things were performed by my brother, with the exception of drums (me) and some backing vocals (me).

drums:

snare sm57 pointed at side of shell
kick d112 2" away from beater
overheads mx603s, actually they were not "overhead" at all but about 6 feet back in the room as a spaced pair.

bass was through a crappy passive DI.

guitars were through a Mesa Boogie Mark I head / Marshall 4x12 cab, with sm57.

vocals, Rode NT1.

---

thanks for all the comments everyone. i didn't realize the vocal was low, so thank you for pointing that out. i guess when you know the lyrics you tend to think that everyone else can understand them clearly too.

i like the sound of the recording.

you have much crappier gear than I do, but get a much better sound. nice work :)

the vocal style doesn't bother me at all - but, the lyrics push it over the edge ben folds wise imo.

overall i like it.

Vox a tad flat in some parts,but it works except on a few(0:59-1:07),(1:50-2:01).Nice harmonies in there.I never heard Ben Folds but heard of him.Not bad,catchy.Like the lead guitar)Great sound and mix for the gear you got.I liked this.Also maybe the vox could be touched up volume wise in a few spots,but keep it as dry as you can.the overall sound is cool and works.

wow, can't think of anything wrong with this mix/recording. It's really good, especially with what you are using.

sorry, not being helpful here, but, good job tho!

Al

i'm not really sure that the vocals are too low... it has that fountains of wayne vibe without the crunch; however, the guitar seems to sit on top a bit. i like the song, but i've been listening to more energetic stuff recently, so it doesn't have very much replay value for me. give it a little more punch and a little more vivacity and i'd definitely be a fan

Back