Some new material...MicroMOOG bass on some tracks

Listening to (A Lump). Very interesting for sure. It has an appropriate lo-fi sound, hope you don't take that the wrong way hehe. I like the moody-psychedelic experimental feel of it with the vocal regen effects etc. The sounds could be better and the mix slicker but it sounds like a real band which is nice to hear. I'll have to check out a few more tunes.

Strat

I'm with Strat completely. I listened to "A Lump" and "Park Outside;" interesting for sure. I prefer "Park Outside" though, the vocals are stronger. I think the only thing that's hurtin' ya is the balance of the mixes. Some elements overpower others. I think that once that balance is there, you'll have some cool tunes that are very listenable to people who dig this genre. Keep it up, man!

Thanks for the replies. Is the mix critique a personal preference thing or does it merely sound off where there is room for improvement? There are a lot of songs on our soundclick page, some recorded over two years ago. I feel the mixes have improved in the past two years. Maybe I am wrong.

Donnie, I listened to your tunes. I love the drumming. We should collaborate sometime...

Hey Pappy, thanks for checkin' out the tunes, man! My time is a little stretched thin with both full-time work and school, but I wouldn't mind layin' down some drum tracks down for ya some time.

I took another listen on some decent speakers--my initial listen was on a laptop (I should probably stop doin' that :rolleyes:). Having the low end made a huge difference though! I think you're doin' a good job with the mixes. There's probably some things you could do to improve 'em, but you're definitely on the right track. I still think Park Outside kicks A Lump's ass though! :D

A real moog is a tough thing to mix with guitars and live drums. The challenge is to cut enough high end of the moog bass so it does not interfere with the guitars. The result is often that the moog is faint on smaller computer or phone speakers and loud on pa speakers. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

A real moog is a tough thing to mix with guitars and live drums. The challenge is to cut enough high end of the moog bass so it does not interfere with the guitars. The result is often that the moog is faint on smaller computer or phone speakers and loud on pa speakers. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Im on my ipad so i havent had a chance to hear the tune but i use a moog for bass quiet often, not with guitars all that much but frequencies are frequencies

If you feel your bass is missing on smaller speakers you could try layering it with another bassline with its lower frequencies cut out and a little distortion added...you wont hear bass on small set ups anyway but the disorted bass should cut through more and let people know its still there...its much the same technique as layering kicks with a high hat sample and blending it in

Be sure to put the bass on a buss so that any compression etc affects both parts as it should sound like one instrument

Sorry if thats a bit basic, without hearing the track i dont know your level, and im not mega experienced

You could also try sidechaining the kick to the moog or automating the EQ when the guitars come in?? Also small amounts of delay will help give a moog bassline some movement so it gives the bottom end a little more room without losing its anchor...make sure you use one with a wet/dry knob, or stick it on an FX bus

I only had 1 headphone in while listening to Lump so as to hear my co-workers' discussion, but it seemed pretty good to me.

The micromoog only has one oscillator. I have fattened it up in the mix with another distorted track. I have a juno 106. Maybe I will try to comp the bassline on the 106 with the chorus effect on. That should fatten it up a little. Thanks for all the comments.

Back