some control room questions

stone_eufemia

i've made a quick simple drawing of my control room

it's 12.5'x12.5', 8' 3" celling

cement rendered brick walls, 5" concrete celling, floor is 1/2" marble on a 10" concrete foundation.

the door in grey at the upper left corner goes to my tracking-practice room.

i know the identical wall dimensions suck, but walls are load bearing so if i remove one the 2 upper floors fall on my cheap gear, and i feel the room is quite small as it is so if i do a room within "this" room, i could end up with a soundproof closet.

altough i don't need a lot of isolation from the outside, i would like to have some between the control room and the tracking room; right now i have to gess when i set up drum mics, record a little and then go again and change mic placement to avoid phase problems.

ctrl%20rm.gif

now with the questions:

- how much isolation could i espect if i remove the door to the tracking room and close the opening with brick rendered at both sides?

i've read the STC chart at SAE but i don't know how much structural born transmission would affect that performance 'cause the rooms aren't structurally isolated from each other (read totally coupled)

-taking into account my horrible perfect square room, would i get a noticeable improovement when mixing by building the two angled slat resonator walls showed in red in the drawing?

i think they'll take care of standing waves between the parallel side walls and reduce modal problems because of the two equal wall dimensions, but what do i know.

-the angle of the resonator walls should be 6 degrees each to get 12 degrees of diference between them, or should i angle them even more.

-looking at the small distance between the sweet spot and the rear wall, should i cover most of it with broad band absorption?

that's it for now

thanks for your help

Stone,

Room design is a little out of my league, but one problem I see is you have doors in the corners of the control room. Bass trapping is most effective in corners, so having doors there means you can't put bass traps there.

--Ethan

thanks ethan
i know that but i don't have the money to move the doors right now.

i've tougth about puting the bass traps in the wall-celling joint above the doors instead

what you think, could it work?

thanks John, i've tought about changing my control room to the bigger room, i think it would make a great control room with 20' front to back.

like this

full2.gif

only problem is that i need to keep the
bigger room for tracking as it's also my band's rehearsall room.

what you think of this, for the small room?
design.gif

i've changed the botom left door to open to the inside of the bathroom, and sealed the door to the tracking room with cement rendered brick.

also added a couple of corner bass traps and eliminated the parallel side walls at the mix position with slot resonators

Back