Solvo Song

SolvoRock

Im new to recording and mixing, but ive been trying some stuff. This song is the first song ive ever mixed, so Im not sure if its "good" or not, but i think it sounds alright. Im not finished, but its getting closer. What do you guys think? Please be honst, if it sucks, let me know.
www.myspace.com/solvopa
only the first song on there (wall of water) is actually mixed, the others sound like garbage.

Execution-wise, you need to take out about 70 seconds out of the intro. I almost stopped listening because I thought I was listening to a hi hat and guitar thing.

As far as the mix, it lacks dynamics. In other words, it's kind of lifeless. It's not a bad song, and I can tell you have spent some time on it, it's just not quite there yet.

Bring the guitars down a bit in the mix.

Panning. Everything is up the center in the overly long intro...

Bring the vocals up a bit.

I like how you didn't over do the reverb.

I think your cymbols are lacking some highs and midrange. Did you eq that out?

Anyway, if I keep going I am going to sound like I am just bitching. You've got something there, it just needs some more work.

yeah

as far as the intro goes, were taking that one out, we have a new one thats more interesting, so that problem is solved.
The reason the cymbals are missing the highs/ midrange im thinking is because of how i miced the set- i didnt eq it out. I have a very limited selection of mics. All i used for drums was 2 overheads (mxl 993) and a kick drum mic i borrowed from someone. Yeah i noticed that too, I wasnt sure what to do about it.
Ill try bringing the guitars down a bit, and the vocals up some. to me the vocals sounded a little empty, did you notice anything like that?

With the overall mix, im not going for the over-compressed sound, I want it to sound natural. So far, i dont think im getting anything that sounds over-compressed, so thats a positive.
anything else?

Back