SOLVED Strange periodic drastic distortion in audio after downgrading - what is going on?

Airlane1979

I recently downgraded my Dell Optiplex 3020 back to Windows 10, which I should not have even tried to upgrade. I have a Steinberg UR22II USB audio interface which has run fine for years. After the downgrade, a strange audio problem has occurred only on the interface: every 20-30s, the bitrate sounds as if it is massively reducing for a few seconds, then it is restored - sounding like a bitcrusher. This is not occurring in the computer's own audio output. I also see that there is no audio signal being received in Audacity (the I/O are set to the UR22), and that was also working fine until I downgraded.

What might be going on here? Why has this happened after the downgrade? How might I fix it?

Duh: I forgot to reinstall the Yamaha Steinberg driver.

Last edited:
So did the driver install fix it? There is nothing that could cause problems with a Downgrade - at least not in the Audio Interface.

I needed to install that to make my CC121 remote work! No idea why I'd need a Yamaha driver for a remote control - but it worked!

So did the driver install fix it? There is nothing that could cause problems with a Downgrade - at least not in the Audio Interface.
Yes, it did. Although I still cannot get an audio signal from the interface into Audacity any more. That is baffling me.

Remember that Audacity does not support ASIO. You need to use the Windows audio, not the ASIO driver. Check to see what the Audacity input device is set to. It should probably be set to DirectSound. Also check that you have the 2211 set as your input device under Windows Sound Settings.

If you want to use ASIO, there are instructions on the Audacity web page to get the source code (It's GPL, y'know), and you can add in ASIO support and recompile it.

Yes, Audacity and another ASIO device can cause headaches. My son's main rig is a MOTU M4 running Sampitude ProX3 and Reaper but he also uses Audacity for some tasks.
To further complicate the issue his Skype rig is a USB mic* but hearing dad through his Eris 3 speakers via the M4. This of course means swapping between ASIO and WASAPI driver and he is forever getting things confused and losing some function or other. He always manages to sort it in a few minutes though.

*A Citronics CCU3, about a nifty and a remarkably good microphone we think.

Dave.

Back