Solo Section or Not?

Do you write music with sections for solos?

• Yes, I usually do.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • No, I usually don't.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • I will write sections without words/melody but no solo.

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Jack Russell

I smell home cookin!
When you compose a song, do you most often write in a section for a soloing instrument, such as a lead guitar, or not?

[poll]

Having just posted this thread, I realize I can't answer it. It depends on the song. Some have solos and some don't. I guess I tend to NOT add them.

I wonder if guitar solos (in rock in particular) have sort of become out of vogue. ???

One thing is clear: your average band on the charts in rock these days doesn't have a capable lead player. Not like back in the day when we had Page, Trower, Clapton, Hendrix, Townshend, Howe, etc. (the list is loooooooong).

Yeah - lots of shredders around but they only play in metal bands. Pop rock has no lead players now.....

It's probably 50/50 for me... It really depends on the style of song. Blues or R&R seems to always include one. Ballads not necessarily so.....

:D :) :D :)

i like to have guitar leads, not really solos though. just lead melodies in certain parts, like between verses.

I will often write a small "solo" section - normally only a few bars to come out of a chorus or lead into a bridge.

I have a hard enough time telling a story in 3 minutes, let alone add a solo :D

I almos alway's write solo's. were a blues rock band. and we actually have 4 songs that are nothing but solos (each instroment gets it's own solo)

When the song nears its final form I see how long it is to determine whether or not I should add a solo. I do vary once in a while if I think that the solo will lead me back to a part of the song (Usually the hook.) that I think needs emphasizing. Basically I write the song first. Then I arrange it with or without solo depending on its needs.

I agreee with upfidler...Adding a solo part is an arrangement function. One observation I would make....don't add a solo section just to pad out the song.
The best use of a solo instrument in an otherwise "vocal" recording is to complement the vocal and contribute to the story telling process. Anything else is just whacking off on the guitar. (or keys....whatever)

chazba

The M8 is usually co-opted for a solo. In Hip Hoppy stuff a "breakdown" often takes the solo spot.
It's all a matter of taste but I still like to break up the A B pattern with a C for solo & make it different if I can - otherwise leave a verse or chorus vocal less for the purpose of a solo.
If the solo is loosely based around the melody - a variation - development - Liztification - it reinforces the hook as well as taking the song somewhere else for a little while.
Sometimes the solo is stunning, often mundane (esp when I do it). Of course modern Idolesque Divas now do the soloing at the end of every phrase with their ululating.
My fav. melodic solo - & an essential part of the piece - is on Slade's Everyday where Dave Hill is succinct, sweet & around the main melody.

Jack Russell said:
When you compose a song, do you most often write in a section for a soloing instrument, such as a lead guitar, or not?

[poll]

All my tunes are instrumentals so "YES" I have a section for a soloing instrument which is the guitar,...and the section is usually the whole song! :D

As has been said, it really depends on the song. The following may be stating the obvious but..

In general, I find it fun, if not always ultimately usable, after laboring over chord progressions and parts and lyrics ad infinitim, when you have heard the peice a zillion times, to just dial up a tone that fits, and jam right over the whole thing with the vocals down. All the pent up desire to make this song happen come out through your fingers hopefully "saying the rest of what needs to be said", and realizing some good hooky bits, some flowing melodic lines, some expressive passages that can be used somewhere. Best case,your soloing ends up developing around,between and behind the chords and the vocal lines in such a way it ties it all together, thereby taking everything further
...Maybe it'll just be for your own director's cut version :D It's also a great way to come up with intros, outros and bridge ideas!

I'd better watch it, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about :o

Depending on the definition of solo, there is always one in my songs. It might not be for a separate instrument, just a bridge with no vocals or a nifty acoustic intro or something. Only having singing and chords is boring, but I don't typically include a big 'solo verse-bridge-chorus' in what I write. I do, however, add the extra verse/chorus for a solo when playing songs live with other people, both to give them a chance to participate more, and to take up some extra time... (Hey, I have a day job, I can't learn every song that gets written).

If it's a blues rock or harder rock song I will include some soloing, though, but most of my stuff is acoustic rock/folk type stuff for one person to play. My harmonica is getting better, though, so I might start throwing that in more :)

I definitely don't necessarily include solo sections. It really depends on the song. As someone said, a solo just to fill space is masturbation. I'd rather that not be part of a song, which is why I have gotten very bored of many the "rock/blues" guitar player I've known.

If the solo AND soloist have something to add to what the song is saying then yes, absolutely, solos are great. But a solo, just for a solo's sake bores and/or annoys me.

In a live performance, if everyone's dancing and we want to keep the energy there, it's common to add solo parts in, but that's a little different. Then it's more about the groove, and the solo is just there to provide some texture, etc.

Back