Solidtube

rvdsm

Does anyone besides me use the AKG Solidtube?
If not, why?

And don't give me any of that AKG=BAD shit either. Other people are talking about wanting condenser mics for $200 or under and you want to come at me with that. Just keep on stepp'n with that nonsense!

BOoYAH!!!!

Actually, I think very few people will trash AKG across the board, just certain mics, particularly C3000B and C1000S, and with good cause. I've used Solidtube extensively, although I do not currently own one. First, let me say that I have only used it as a vocal mic. It is a special case, in that in about 5 years, it has gone from being an overated $1200 mic to an underated $500 mic. A lot of people were unimpressed by it initially at a much higher price point.
Secondly, it has a built in internal pop filter which doesn't really stop popping, but does make the singer sound muddy and distant. If you rip that worthless sucker out, the mic comes to life, no shit. It doesn't take as long as my NTK to warm up, 15 minutes tops, but that becomes 20 after you rip out the pop filter. It is dark, kind of like an Oktava MK319 all grown up, and it often likes the same voices as the 319. In fact, the mic I've used that sounds most like it is the Oktava ML52 ribbon mic.
It is very useful to add some bass to a loud singer with a high pitched voice, or a lady belter. Stick this baby in front of someone like Linda Rondstadt or Freddy Mercury and it will rock. Secondly, the mic was made to withstand high SPL's, and it doesn't usually sound good until you hit a certain volume level, which weak singers won't reach. It loves belters, yellers, screamers, and probably would be good for some rappers. Good for blues with the "big sound".
I traded mine for a mic I needed more at the time, and I've missed it ever since, because it's so good for certain material. It's not my first choice for folk music or medieval ballads, but it works fine for John Lennon Plastic Ono Band kind of stuff- "Back in the USSR", etc.
That's my take on it. A better tube, such as a Mullard, will also change the sound, adding detail. That can be good or bad, depending on the material. I think when anybody is looking for a tube mic in the $500 range, and is considering NTK or Studio Projects T-3, they should give a listen to this mic, 'cause it works damn well on some singers. It can be an often overlooked sleeper. One last point, the special cable is a little on the flimsy side. If you depend on this mic for sessions, buy an extra cable. When the one you have shits the bed in the middle of a session, you'll remember- I told you so.-Richie

yo

well akg mics are good in general, the akg solid tube is one i like specifically. I have used it on my own vocals and like it very well. It is the one of the main mics the studio i go to uses too, and they don't get crappy sound. They use the solid tube and the u87 and depending on the voice you can't notice much of a difference.

Well, God knows I can certainly hear the difference between a U87 and a Solidtube, but there are times I would choose the AKG over the Neumann.-Richie

ha...

well i suppose that was said a bit uh.. dumb. What i meant was that depending on the vocal charateristics you sometimes won't notice the difference because the solid tube might be better on that voice than on the u87. Now i am just talking about the u87 and the solid tube by the way...

Back