Solidtube Modification

gez

Hi, I remember reading something about a mod for the AKG Solidtube here, but having done a search I can't find anything. Anyone know of this mod? It was meant to improve it's sound quality somehow! Sincere replies only Please, we've had all the Solidtube jokes! :-)
Thanks.

Yes- What Kenney said. Remove the internal pop filter and never look back. Also consider changing the tube to a Mullard, et al.-Richie

Also mute the body with adhesive velcro, this will reduce any sympathetic resonances.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I should have been a plumber."
-Albert Einstein-

Also try internally muting the body of the mic with adhesive velco. This will help reduce any sympathetic resonances.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

"I should have been a plumber."
-Albert Einstein-

Wow thanks guys, that's certainly a lot simpler than what I'd read somewhere, something about a modification to the electronics, either in the PSU or in the mic body, or even both!?
Thanks again.

Damn double-post!

For some reason this site hangs up everytime I post a response. It is quite frustrating!

Tom! Sorry to trouble you, but can you be a little more specific on the velcro bit? Do you mean stick some velcro to the inside of the body, then stick velcro onto that? or just the one layer?
I got as far as opening the 3 screws at the bottom today, but got scared and put everything back for now, cos there was some resistance in pulling the insides out! Cost me a lot, don't wanna risk busting it!
Anyone care to post a step-by-step dismantling procedure?
Can't wait to try these mods! Having difficulty locating Mullard valve here though! I'll keep looking.
Cheers!

Tom,

What I have taken to doing (yes, this is off topic) is to do a quick highlight and copy before hitting the 'submit' button. Specially with the more involved responses. Then, when it hangs, I just paste my pearls of wisdom (hah!) back and save on blood pressure medicine.

Do a search with Tom Cram and Solid Tube as the criteria. There was a thread about a year back that went into all the mods in detail.

Back