Solenoid rubber washer goo on Tascam 32/34/38

LUNE

...a pieds joints
Hi,

I looked around for info on this and found some mention of it causing problems when it gets all over, but what do people replace these with?

I couldn't find a part on my manual either (though it could somehow be there that I didn't see...:o)

is there a common substitution that people replace these with from a hardware store? or is there a tascam replacement part? (I'm planning on getting a few things soon, so it'd be easy to add several of these for all my decks) and while I'm at it making an order from Tascam, are there any little parts that are good to have on hand that one might as well stock up on?

I get the impression its not a vital part, but it would be nice to have something replace the vacancy.

what do people use?

I think the rubber washer just help dampen the sound a little bit.

If you are going to be in the machine anyway...

Belts
Pinch roller
bulbs
lube

:D

+1 to what jjones said.

It's not an overly critical part, outside of maybe using it for accurate measurements during brake alignment (and damping as jj mentioned) so I personally wouldn't worry about it. I pulled mine off and cleaned the gooey area so as not to cause any problems. That's it.

If you still want to replace, TASCAM is the best place. Not to say that you can't buy one off the shelf tho.;)

Call Teac parts...I bought several of them for my 48 and 58 way back when. I can dig up the part number for you if needed. They were about $1.50 each. They actually serve a function besides cushioning the sound...they protect the keeper groove of the solenoid plunger and space how far the plunger bottoms. I wouldn't run a deck for long without a proper cushion but that's just me.

Let me know if you need the part number. They had them in stock a couple years ago so who knows...?

The good will clean up with iso alcohol BTW.

They actually serve a function besides cushioning the sound...they protect the keeper groove of the solenoid plunger and space how far the plunger bottoms.

Cory, could you expand a bit on this one? What do you mean by "keeper groove"? ..... And I noticed the plunger bottoms out the same amount without the plunger (as with it) but I def would like to know more about what you're saying.

See, I didn't think much of it when I removed it and then TEAC (the one in Japan) told me that it didn't serve a critical function so as not to worry about replacing it.

I guess that's not the right term...the groove for the e-ring.

For some of the solenoid functions the plunger depth wouldn't matter, but for others it would...pinch roller pressure depends on the plunger depth. No cushion and the solenoid position needs to be reset and I don't know if, in all cases, there is enough adjustment range. That's just off the top of my head, but brakes would be the same way.

I won't argue with the folks in Japan over it or anybody else for that matter, but if they can be had for $1.50 that's reason enough to keep them in there AFAIC...

Cory, just for the record, I'm not questioning you nor am I saying that the Japan folks are right necessarily but rather hoped to gain a bit of insight into what's going on and you laid it out for me, in additional detail, so thanks for that. You know these machines better than many so your thoughts count a lot.

Oh I know Daniel...no sweat. I'm saying that's what I'VE determined and hopefully everybody takes what makes sense/works for them and leaves the rest...I've got a whole lot to learn. :)

Thanks for the thoughts on this, its also interesting to me - the ideas on how 'essential' these are.

I went ahead and ordered a few from Tascam while ordering some belts. I used part # 5772911100 (in case someone is looking for these in future:)). this part number was written in to the scanned manual I have (I don't think it was in the original printed manual)
- they only had 3 in stock, so I cleared them out - and they're still $1.50!
I guess I'll take these and compare to see if I can find something similar at a hardware store (I think I'll need more than 3 for all my decks...)

and in case anyone was wondering - they no longer stock the feet on these machines (more fun to build your own anyway:D)
nor do they stock those strings that are a part of the damper mechanism (5800301000 (String Assy, Damper)) I managed to repair the one I had that was busted, and I guess I could imagine fabricating one that would work from scratch, but the original 'string' is made of something that holds a shape (some kind of wire in there I guess...) interesting to take note of which parts are discontinued and which they keep in stock...

Back